Adding a tach to a DIS - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adding a tach to a DIS
Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:47 PM
I have a 94 cavi with a 2.2L and a 5 speed, the car does not have a factory tach installed in the dash so i want to add one. I do not know how to add a tach to a car that has a DIS (Distruibtor-less ignition system) Anyone know how i can go about this. It does not have to be super accurate i just want something that will move the tach around while i am driving. Someone told me you could tap into the on board computer but he didnt know witch wire to tap into. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

01 Mustang GT 5-speed V8
94 Crapalier SS 5-speed I4

Re: Adding a tach to a DIS
Monday, March 05, 2007 1:46 AM
i did this years ago... i wanna say its the white wire on the wire cluster coming through the fire wall ....

it is as simple as tapping in to one wire (assuming youve already hooked power up to the gauge)

someone help me out on the wire color (i havent hooked mine back up since the wiring harness swap due to the fact i wasnt exactly sure which wire it was... and its not high priority for me so i havent asked here yet)

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:00 AM
ThaCensoredOne(XtrmeDelusions) wrote:i did this years ago... i wanna say its the white wire on the wire cluster coming through the fire wall ....

it is as simple as tapping in to one wire (assuming youve already hooked power up to the gauge)

someone help me out on the wire color (i havent hooked mine back up since the wiring harness swap due to the fact i wasnt exactly sure which wire it was... and its not high priority for me so i havent asked here yet)

Yeah its a white wire, B11 if I remember correctly.

http://cavalierman93.googlepages.com/

Monday, March 05, 2007 5:08 AM
thanks for your help!

01 Mustang GT 5-speed V8
Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:53 PM
would it be possible to take a stock tach from an rs or z24 and put it in place of the old vl one? is it prewired for it?
Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:30 AM
well i tried both the white wires comming out of the EMC and no luck! Its not the tach either, i tried two different ones....any suggestions?

01 Mustang GT 5-speed V8
Friday, March 23, 2007 10:21 AM
Its wire B11 on the center connector for the 94 2.2 ECM. It should be the same for autos and manuals, but I don't have my service manual here to verify. You can also hook the tach to the white wire in the ignition module harness, but it will only read half the actual RPM, so unless your tach has a setting for a 2cyl engine (which I doubt), you'll have to mentally double it for the real reading.

It is possible to use a V6 tach cluster in a 4 cyl car, the How-To is on V6Z24.com.

I can't remember if the shift light gets full RPM reading or not, and again, no manual to verify, but if it does get full signal, you can splice into that wire and it should be good.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:48 AM
do you have a link to it?
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:01 PM
Its in the General FAQ in the General forum.

Friday, April 27, 2007 3:57 PM
i hoked my tac up to that wire and it said i idled at 500 rpm and my rev limiter was at 3500
Sunday, April 29, 2007 3:45 AM
Was you tach set for the right number of cylinders?

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 5:28 PM
yea 4cyl i dont know where else to hook it to what can i do?????????
Wednesday, May 02, 2007 11:31 AM
The only other place you can hook it is the white wire on the ICM two wire connector. That is a true half voltage signal, so it will read the same thing no matter what you do- 500 idle. Does your tach have a good ground? The B11 wire is the full signal, so its probably a wiring or tach issue.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search