swapable engines - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
swapable engines
Saturday, July 05, 2008 6:49 PM
anyone know what all engine that can go into a 2nd gen cavi without to much alterrations or work, im looking to keep it four cylinder because of were i live, i was looking into all gm 4cyl, wondering if engine like to turbo 2.0 will fit and bolt up to the tranny i got in the car or not or other ideas. i know i have asked alot of questions but in just getting into the american fwd trend. so any help would be great thank you

Re: swapable engines
Sunday, July 06, 2008 2:25 PM
well i swaped in a 3.1L v6 with practaly no modifications (except i switched over to a 5 speed trany at sametime) but as for engine not to much changed sway bars & strut tower bar for extra strength
Monday, July 07, 2008 5:47 PM
With little alteration? a 2.2 OHV (92-95), a 2.8 or 3.1 MPFI V6, and I imagine if you had all the parts from the old Sunbird, a 1.8 or 2.0 turbo would be do-able, as well as the 2.0 N/A (SOHC engines). With a little more work, a 3400 SFI is doable, too. Any GM 6-60 should go in fairly easily.

And why 4 cylinder? Is it because you live somewhere where gas is more expensive, or because you live near a bunch of ricers that think only 4 cylinder cars a worth driving?

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 6:59 PM
mainly gas milage plus i have had many fwd v6s and im not to happy with the out come of them
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 10:19 PM
Then I would use the LN2 OHV. If you want turbo, you could try to dig up and old 'bird, or hack together a turbo system on your own for the LN2. You don't have the car in your registry, so I'm not sure what year you have, but basically the LN2 easiest to work with for the Gen 2 would be the 92-95 version. It has fuel injection, making it pretty easy on gas. If you want the most out of the engine, get a 94 or 95 year engine, as they have a roller cam that gives it a little more power, and retains the same efficiency.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, July 11, 2008 3:02 AM
would a 97 fit and blot up?
Monday, July 14, 2008 7:01 PM
Yes

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:41 AM
I though the 96-97 engines were equipped with OBDII? Or does that just get replaced with the OBDI electroincs and away you go...?

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:15 PM
the only diffrence in the obd1 and 2 blocks is obd2 has a few extra holes in the block for some sensors that are obd2 specific. if you want to run an obd2 engine on obd1 just leave the extra sensors alone to fill the hole and plug in all your obd1 stuff like normal.
However you obviously cant go the other way and run a obd1 motor on obd2 because your missing the neccisary holes for the extra sensors.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:28 PM
Theres no difference in the blocks. The only real difference in LN2 blocks is between 90-91 and 92+ with the CPS. And even then, it was just a threaded plug. Even the 2200 block is the same, the head changed. Check out the LN2 history either by googling it, or clicking the link on V6Z24.com in the General FAQ in the General Forum.

As far as fuel economy goes- I get 27mpg avg in my 3.1 Z, and about 30mpg with my 2.2. Its not a noticeable difference, and the main factor is in how you drive it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:31 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search