Neon disc swap how to - Page 9 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 3:06 PM
^^ why is that here ? wrong place maybe

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:47 PM

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:03 PM
it's a list for a possible hardware GP for the neon conversion.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 4:20 AM
James Cahill wrote:Joshua- do you think you can start a new thread somewhere for your GP? I really don't want this locked.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:45 AM
hey guys do you want the part numbers off a srt-4 because i had a buddy over on the srt forums give me the part numbers

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Friday, February 17, 2006 10:48 PM
Updated Part Number For The SRT-4 Setup
Rear Caliper Adapter Right Side: #5083788AA Price: MSRP=$92.10 and at DodgeParts.com=$71.84
Rear Caliper Adapter Left Side:#5083789AA Price:MSRP=$87.60 and at DodgeParts.com=$68.33
Rear Right Caliper:#5114210AA Price:MSRP=$126.00 and at DodgeParts.com=$98.28
Rear Left Caliper:#5114211AA Price:MSRP=$104.79 and at DodgeParts.com=$81.74
Rear Brake Right Shield:#4728110 Price:MSRP=$117.00 and at DodgeParts.com=$91.26
Rear Brake Left Shield:#4728111 Price:MSRP=$117.00 and at DodgeParts.com=$91.26

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Saturday, February 18, 2006 4:45 AM
thats weird why would the parts for the right be more expenive than the parts for the left?

Saturday, February 18, 2006 9:14 AM
Cars get hit on the left more often. Larger production = lower prices.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 9:22 PM
March GP:
1.Z24 FReQ (Jarett)
2.ws6+04cav=ftw
3. o4blackfire- I got the Konis from you.

Check out my car....
http://members.cardomain.com/o4blackfire
Monday, February 20, 2006 12:27 PM
^^ god i wish i could find one centralized post for the 3rd gens cause this thread has too much here and there. someone needs to do a new post for the third gen. step by step by step. and all the parts used.

cause im not seeing anything here....

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Monday, February 20, 2006 12:29 PM
everything should be almost the same, because the suspension setup is almost exactly the same through all the years

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:32 PM
Update I have more Updated Part Numbers For The Swap
#4509504 (SOCKET, rear wheel p/brake adj screw)
#4383541 (SPRING, p/brake shoe retainer upper)
#4383542 (SPRING, p/brake shoe retainer lower)
#4383543 (CLIP, p/brake shoe hold down)
----------------------------------------------------------
There a 4 numbers for the shoes. One factory and three aftermarket-
#V2013036
#BHKP7300
#BHKP7301
---------------------------------------------------------
#4383539 (NUT , p/brake adj)
#4762684 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
#4762685 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
#4762686 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
#4762687 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
#4238733 (PIN, rear wheel brake shoe hold down)
#4238721 (PLUG, rear wheel brake adj hole)
#4728112 (LEVER and LINK ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear wheel, right)
#4728113 (LEVER and LINK ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear wheel)
#4509503 (SCREW, rear wheel p/brake adj)
#4728110 (SHIELD, rear wheel disc brake, right)
#4628111 (SHIELD, rear wheel disc brake)
#4723981 (SCREW and WASHER, shield to adapter)
#4509633 (CABLE ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear, w/or w/o ABS)
#5273636 (CABLE ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear, w/or w/o ABS) (this is the one I used)
#4446981 (CABLE ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear, w/or w/o ABS)
#4509637 (LEVER ASSEMBLY, p/brake)

For Cheaper Prices Go To Dodge Parts

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:52 AM
Alright Alright.......Damn......I'll get the GP going. - DO NOT POST ANYMORE GP NAMES PLEASE. I'll start a GP tomorrow in the GP forum.

I will also be posting a write up for the Gen3 soon aswell. I've had this thing close to posting for about 6 weeks now, I'm just too lazy and busy with school to finish it. This write up includes all the brake line stuff and instructs on how to get the stock ebrake to work with the neon hardware. I need a few more pics and spend a little more time on it and it'll be up. I will also start a GP for the machined brackets. I'm also working on a new way to space out the wheel bearings to drastically reduce the amount of lugnut threads lost to spacing of the rotors. - I'll post some info shortly and see what you guys think about it.
Thursday, February 23, 2006 1:49 PM
hey josh you got any pictures of this or not yet?

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Friday, February 24, 2006 2:36 PM
Yeah, I can get some pictures up.
Friday, February 24, 2006 3:30 PM
for the lug nut thread lose why dont you just get longer bolts..

-- MyZcar

Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:13 AM
Because the bolts are in the wheel bearing and you would need to buy a new wheel bearing to do that and chances are good that all wheel bearings would be the same bolt length. You might be able to get new bolts pushed into the wheel bearing but I havn't looked into that yet. I'd rather start with the bearing shims.
Sunday, February 26, 2006 10:40 PM
Heres some pictures showning the use of the stock ebrake cables:

U like those Tein SS's? So do I!
Monday, February 27, 2006 3:45 AM
Yes, that is drilled and slotted rear rotors.....they match the front.....bite me.
Monday, February 27, 2006 5:44 AM
Wow, looks great Josh! Don't listen to all the haters of slotting or drilling the rears. That is YOUR preference and it hurts no one else for you to enjoy them. What kind of timeframe are you looking at for when you plan to set up the GP and the how to for 3rd gens? Great work!

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"
Monday, February 27, 2006 9:27 AM
OK GP has been created, waiting on approval. I've paid the dues for the GP, it's in JBO's hands now. They say 1-2 days.

The How-To is still in the works, I got a crap load of labs due this week, but early march looks good.

Monday, February 27, 2006 10:18 AM
how josh did u use the rear caliper bracket from a neon or what? and is there anyway that you can take off the rotor so we can look at what type of caliper bracket you used?

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Monday, February 27, 2006 11:18 AM
the rear Neon caliper bracket has to be used. it has to be machined however. I think there are some templates for it somewhere in this thread, including measurements.
my question is... is there a vented rotor that works? or do you have to use solid ones?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, February 27, 2006 1:02 PM
Yes, I used the neon bracket. On my many trips to the junk yard I've found many dodge to use this same bracket, Seen it on Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Neon, Dodge Intrepid to name a few. I dont know years. I just go and start looking at dodge rears and look for disc brakes. If its got rear discs, youve got a 50/50 chance its the bracket you need. HOWEVER I know by a quick visual what I'm looking for so look at Cahills pictures of the bracket earlier in this post and print it off and take it with you to the yard and you'll find them all over dodge stuff.

As for vented, no, I've never seen a vented rear rotor for this setup. I though Autozone said they had a performance line that had them but by that time I had already purchased my D+S rotors.

Heres 1 picture I have of the setup, like I said, I need to take new pictures. This picture shows a problem I will be addressing in the write-up. It seems the stock cables are a little too short but a little bit of love and fun I got them to work.

PIC

You can also see the spacers on the lug nuts which is what I'm working on fixing.

Heres an example of what I'm machining to space the axle:

Spacer

Heres a drawing for the machining of the brackets:

Drawing
Monday, February 27, 2006 4:07 PM
You can get longer lugs. You don't need to get a new bearing, just press the lugs out and press the new ones in. You can even do it without a press if you want.

I think its great you plan on doing a 3rd gen specific How-To Josh, but for those of you who think it needs to be done- I've said it about 50 times- there is NO difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen drum brakes. None. Period. The only thing you'll see different between Josh's How-To and mine are the e-brake cable setup and the brake line.

There are templates in the thread already, but Josh's is an actual ACAD drawing and is much easier to read (very cool ). There are also some pics of the "after" machining on the bracket.

Josh- I like the plan of spacing behind the bearing instead of the rotor side. I may just have some stuff whipped up as well. I'm happy to see stock cables being used.

There are vented rotors that will work. They are from a Daytona, but you will need to use the Daytona caliper bracket (the caliper is the same though, as well as some of the other hardware). There are two different Daytona setups- 10" non vented, and 11" vented. Its been done on several cars now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search