Neon disc swap how to - Page 14 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:09 PM
RockAuto source for the shoes, enjoy

Saturday, September 02, 2006 8:30 AM
@!#$fire wrote:Has anyone thought about compiling all of this into one "HOW TO:" ?!

Yes. I did. Its at www.j-body.tk/faq in the suspension section.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:38 AM
my buddy's having a strange issue with his rear disc's/ brake system in general.

there is weird pedal travel, it seems soft somtimes, and hard others....

pedal can go right to the floor and catches the brakes just at the end of the travel. we replaced the master cylinder, to no avail, there's no leaks, or anything at this point....

could the ABS motor pack be @!#$? would it do somthing like this?

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Friday, September 08, 2006 7:26 AM
yo josh,

which calipers and rotors do i need for the kit you sent me, part numbers would be great, and also need to know ebrake shoes, and brake pads...

***Need A Power Lock Switch?***

Friday, September 08, 2006 11:19 AM
Get calipers, rotors, and shoes for a '96 Neon Sport.
Get e-brake shoes for a '98 Intrepid.

Sorry no part numbers....gotta go to work.
Saturday, September 09, 2006 10:33 AM
The part numbers are somewhere in this How-To.

Friday, September 29, 2006 8:26 AM
Ok, i'm getting a strange problem every so often.

Its basically the ABS, whats happening on slow turns say in a parking lot, somtimes i'll try and slow down doing a turn (slow enough as it is in the parking lot) and the ABS goes nuts and i can barely stop. could a rear disc be slowing one wheel done more than others and causing the abs pump to go nuts?

i play on swapping in a 97-98 GAGT MC and ABS unit this winter as well, and get the ebrake set up finally

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Friday, September 29, 2006 12:41 PM
Hmm...sounds like a bad wheel speed sensor to me. Check to see if they are all snapped in there plug thing.
Sunday, October 01, 2006 1:13 PM
The sensor reads wheel speed, it has no idea if you have a drum setup or a disc setup. Even if you have a dragging caliper, the wheel is still spinning at whatever speed its spinning at. You have a sensor problem.

Monday, October 02, 2006 10:38 PM
great i kinda thought that, it was simple enough to be that, but wasnt sure.

i'm pretty sure its one of the rears.... hard to say, i do have a busted wire somplace up front that keeps screwing up the abs every so often... arg

thanks guys, i plan on getting the rear ebrake set up this winter, and get it all working, right now i've got a daytona for a winter car and i've gotta replace the whole rear section of brake lines, and swap to the newer calipers and rotors, a $500 dollar brake job out back isnt cool!!

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:08 PM
has anyone had any major problems with the second gens ive read almost all of this and im getting confused between the 2nd and 3rd gen... this should've been seperated but its not a big deal

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 3:47 PM
No difference, same parts, same donors, same mounting, same swap.
Thursday, October 12, 2006 5:49 PM
i used daytona stuff, bracket is beefier and easier to machine and work with, works awesome on my 2nd gen
Thursday, October 12, 2006 7:05 PM
the brackets from the Chrysler Sebring convertible will work too. more difficult to find but they are as beefed up as the Dayton bracket they are the almost the same shape the big difference is the mounting angle of the Sebrings is with the caliper at 90 degrees vertical. on the rear, vs. the Dayton at a 45 degrees and hanging from the bottom rear.

Friday, October 13, 2006 9:41 AM
I have a set of sebring, daytona 15", and 12 sets of neon/comperable mopar brackets, unmachined if anybody is in need of them just let me know. I've moved away and no longer have a mill to do any work on them, they they now sit unmachined, might as well go somewhere.
Monday, October 30, 2006 8:17 PM
got a Q here

if i missed the answer.....well just tell me that i missed it and i'll keep searching but i dont think it's been asked

what's a Neon Sport up here in canada....Neon R/T ????

cuz i don't remember seeing any neon sport
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:15 AM
It could be, I just went looking for any Neons in the bone-yard that had 5 lugs, then took a look at the rear to see if there were drums on it not.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:42 AM
neon sport.... look for it....

usually 2drs, and 4dr's with foglights pretty much 95-99 00+ you can use, but i'm not sure

anybody gotten brave enough to swap in a 98 GAGT master cylinder/abs unit yet? i'm planning on swapping it to have better porportioning front/rear

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 11:28 AM
unknowz24:

Your question wasn't directly answered in here but I did list some other vehicles to find the bracket on in page number 9:

Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Neon, Dodge Intrepid to name a few. I dont know years. I just go and start looking at dodge rears and look for disc brakes. If its got rear discs, youve got a 50/50 chance its the bracket you need. HOWEVER I know by a quick visual what I'm looking for so look at Cahills pictures of the bracket earlier in this post (page 1) and print it off and take it with you to the yard and you'll find them all over dodge stuff.

To add to the list, I found some on a Sebring and New Yorker also.

Now the brackets aren't EXACT but they are close enough to machine them and still work........but only if you machine properly, if you plan on using your drill press and a hole saw you will need neon brackets as they have a little more meat on them once you get done modifying them. The thought of using a hole saw makes my nutts quiver but I guess it could be done.
Friday, November 03, 2006 5:32 AM
When the hell was this done, and where the hell was I. Neon brake swap video.
Good job Josh.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, November 03, 2006 9:20 AM
^^its in here man......where have you been?

Friday, November 03, 2006 9:37 AM
Im having trouble finding neons with disc brakes in canada... i've checked out nearly 40 neons... neon sports, neon r/t 2 and 4 dr and have yet to find one with disc brakes... anyone know if this was maybe only on american neons????
Monday, November 06, 2006 8:22 AM
no its not, look harder....

i'm in canada and i've found 5+ sets, in one day

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Friday, November 17, 2006 12:04 PM
where can i get calipers....

Monday, November 20, 2006 6:51 AM
Any autoparts store....try to find cores tho....the core charge will be more than the calipers themselves.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search