N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To - Page 14 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To
Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:57 PM
only driverside
driveside Nbody is accually a 1/16th longer then a J body but the N body passenger is 7/16th longer i wouldn't run then N body one i ran a 99 axel on a 00 trans and fawked it up 95-99 are 5/8 longer then an 00+, might be able to run the n body axel if you have an 95-99 trans but on the 00 probably fawk it up lik ei did my axel drive should be no issue at all

JBO since July 30, 2001

Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:56 PM
odd...... the N-body axles we installed in WrenchMonkey's car where SHORTER then the J-body ones we took out (although its hard to tell exact length due to age of the J-body ones). I believe he had 95-99 axles in his to start with (never new the 00+ axles were a different length either, since I've been mix/matching them for the last 9 years or so........ lol)

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:37 PM
i went to the parts store and we compared them from the book, this is for 5spd comparison
Driverside
95-99 = 00-05
Passenger
95-99 is 5/8 longer then a 00-05 shaft

an n body driverside is 1/16th longer then a j body, and a passenger was 7/16th longer then an 00-05 passenger shaft so on an 95-99 trans you should only be 3/16th longer using a n body axel it shouldn't cause any issue

then obviously the splines ar different on the outer the inner splices are the same on an n body axel as a j body. double check from a local shop i'm gonna see if i can get a photo copy of the page

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, January 30, 2009 5:46 PM
I thought I had added this, but I went a few pages back, and I guess I didn't. A piece of information on the 95-? axles:

Some of the earlier 3rd Gen J-body axles have a thinner mid-shaft, that will not work with the N-body outter CV joint. I had this problem, and ended up having to change my axles entirely. I'm sure this info isn't in any of the replacement part listings, since they refer to the whole axle, which is interchangeable, but I wanted to let anyone know in case they were still going to make the hybrid axle.

From the info that you guys have put up, it sounds like just getting the N-body axle will work as it is.

Monday, March 02, 2009 5:50 PM
These are the specs i got the photo copys are too dark to scan properly

99+ N body Automatic Specs
(Right and Left are the same shaft aswell as 4 & 6 cylinder ALL INTERCHANGABLE)
Length - 21"
Outboard Spline Count - 30
Inboard Spline Count - 34
Inboard Joint - Male

99+ N body 5spd Specs
Right Side Length - 37 1/16"
Left Side Length - 23 3/4"
Inboard Joint - Female

95- 05 J body 4spd Automatic Specs
(Don't have the 3spd specs. The only difference is 03-05 they had a NON ABS option specs are the same there just missing the reluctor wheel for the ABS)
Length - 20 11/16"
Outboard Spline Count - 33
Inboard Joint - Male

96-05 J body 5spd Specs
96-99 Right Side Length - 37 5/8"
00-05 Right Side Length - 37"
Left Side Length - 23 5/16"
Inboard Joint - Female

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, March 06, 2009 9:48 PM
^This looks like N-body axles could ALMOST be used as direct swap into a 00+ Getrag tranny with J-body length control arms. Right axle: 37-1/16"(N-body) vs. 37"(J-body) and Left axle: 23-3/4"(N-body) vs. 23-5/16"(J-body). The only thing that concerns me is the left axle since that really is ~.5" longer than the J axle. Does anybody have measurements on a "Left axle" J-axle N-outer hybrid axle? Maybe we only have to modify one side?

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Saturday, March 07, 2009 6:37 AM
the left axel with the n outer will be whatever the j axel is if your concerned with the length then make a hybrid but the right axel will be fine

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, March 07, 2009 2:11 PM
Hmm...I wonder if N-body aluminum CA's can be used on a 00+ Getrag if we use 95-99 right side + Left side from a 99+ N-body. Both about .5" longer than the stock 00+ axles. Anybody tried this yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 07, 2009 2:12 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Sunday, March 08, 2009 7:31 AM
its possible but then your still making a hybrid axel and then you will have a control arm which is 1/2" longer and will mess up your camber then you may need to buy camber adjusting mounts. really your not saving your self much work

the reason i posted the specs is so people can make a disision on wether they wanna make hybrid axels or try and run the n bodys ones

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:12 PM
Does anybody know what offset the brackets need to be(further out from the knuckle) to fit the 13" Z06 caliper and rotor? I got a line on some nice rotors with 5x100 or 5x115 hats that match the Z06 rotor dimensions. Just wondering if anybody has looked into this yet. I know the Z06 calipers mounting is the same as the Fbody since you could actually run Z06 calipers with this knuckle swap. Quick idea would be ~.5" but does anybody know for sure?

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:25 PM
I'd try google'ing a C5 brake swap for the 98+ F-body's.... That should help, since we use their rotor and caliper, what ever they need for the Vette rotor should be the same as what we would need.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:18 PM
^Yeah, the have to cut the knuckle and bolt on a entire plate behind the hub with new mounting locations. So it wont exactly fit on a fwd car. O damn......just found a site:

Notice the small bracket that bolts to the factory F-body caliper bracket. Hmmmm.......perfect. 13" NFY setup for me!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:17 PM
Hmm.....well I can find the manufacturer of this kit. So I will be moking up then and machine a set out. I might as well try for the whole deal and use C6 14" rotors. At that point I think it would be important to see if there is room to full stud the 2 N body knuckle to caliper bracket bolts, and probably beef up the bolt diameter some.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:20 PM
insted of using the W body rotor and F body caliper just swap it with the Grand Prix GXP Rotor and caliper then you will have 13" brakes and ist the same sets as the NWF swap basicly NWW Swap

GXP calipers are dual piston and have to be used with the GXP calipers this is what the GP guys are doin

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:37 PM
The '05+ GXP? The Calipers bolt to the spindles the same?

Link to the GP site? (searched the 2 or 3 sites I know of, couldn't find anything other then the 12" upgrade)

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:38 PM
spoke to soon.

ClubGP.com

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:40 PM
Killing another post for this month.....
GOClubGP.com

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:42 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:These are the specs i got the photo copys are too dark to scan properly

99+ N body Automatic Specs
(Right and Left are the same shaft aswell as 4 & 6 cylinder ALL INTERCHANGABLE)
Length - 21"
Inboard Joint - Male

99+ N body 5spd Specs
Right Side Length - 37 1/16"
Left Side Length - 23 3/4"
Inboard Joint - Female

95- 05 J body 4spd Automatic Specs
(Don't have the 3spd specs. The only difference is 03-05 they had a NON ABS option specs are the same there just missing the reluctor wheel for the ABS)
Length - 20 11/16"
Inboard Joint - Male

96-05 J body 5spd Specs
96-99 Right Side Length - 37 5/8"
00-05 Right Side Length - 37"
Left Side Length - 23 5/16"
Inboard Joint - Female

Funny, GM says 97-05 are the same, pending same tranny was used.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:55 AM
Are the GXP dual piston calipers the same as the LS1 f-body or are they specific to the GXP?
Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:30 AM
If the GXP calipers are the same setup as other W Body calipers then no, they wont fit because the bolts are a different size.
The N Body boys use the F Caliper because it has the same bolts, so no drilling and tapping required.
The standard W Body Caliper is smaller than the F, so there's no reason to do all that extra work just for an inferior setup.
But GM has been known to reuse parts from other cars when making a "special" car like the GXP, so they might be the same.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:01 AM
the braket on the GXP caliper is bigger to get the caliper up a little more for the bigger rotor

99 and older are longer i know this cause a the specs and b i had 1 of each sitting side by side the 5 spds are not the same

JBO since July 30, 2001

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:47 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:instead of using the W body rotor and F body caliper just swap it with the Grand Prix GXP Rotor and caliper then you will have 13" brakes and ist the same sets as the NWF swap basically NWW Swap

GXP calipers are dual piston and have to be used with the GXP calipers this is what the GP guys are doin

how much are the GXP calipers? found $130 a piece at GMPD. that's crazy. how likely are you to find a GXP in a junkyard vs an F-body?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:14 AM

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:16 AM
The F-Body Calipers I can get for $15 each and they're an hour's drive.
The GXP Calipers I can get for $50 each and it's almost a 3 hour drive.
You can find them on car-part.com pretty easily.

Friday, April 03, 2009 2:13 PM
no one said it was cheap just if you want 13" brakes theres your option keep in mind you have to run a minimum 17" rim with the 13" brakes

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:36 PM
Well I have 18" wheels on my car now and I really want 13" brakes on the car, so will GXP rotors and LS1 dual piton calipers bolt on to N-body spindles?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search