Green brake fluid??? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Green brake fluid???
Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:56 AM
Hey everyone, I've got a weird question for ya. My Sunflower has green brake fluid. Has had it since new and I never touched or changed it. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type or brand fluid that it is, and if so, where can I buy it aftermarket??? Even the GM Delco Supreme fluid is transluscent yellow, so its a no-go. Thanks for any and all info!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Re: Green brake fluid???
Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:50 AM
Its not supposed to be green. There are some european systems that use mineral oil for fluid, these are dyed green, however you should not have this in your system. The likely cause is your fluid should be the normal clear/amber color but likely got moisture and/or other contaminates in it. The green is known to come from algae growing in the fluid and/or copper washers that are used in some systems. I'd say change it before any problems that may happen, happen.
Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:15 PM
I have had the car since new. It was very pale green when I got it, and still is. Definitely isnt algae or copper, since the car had practically zero miles on it when I bought it.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:15 PM
Huh.. thats odd then. Never heard of it being green to start with. I would change it personally, it probably needs it by now. If you want the green color you could try mixing other fluid colors. If GM Delco is yellow, then you can mix it with ATE super blue and get your green
Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:22 PM
Has the car been exposed to high amounts of gamma radiation?

Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:13 PM
Freelancer1988 wrote:Has the car been exposed to high amounts of gamma radiation?

Actually yes, I forgot to put up my protective Ion Shields when traveling through the Andromeda galaxy....

I don't really care what color fluid I get, I was considering the ATE Super Blue. I was mainly just curious as to why my car has the green fluid.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 9:00 PM
My 05 Sunfire has had this since brand spanking new also. Never worried about it then, not worried about it now
Monday, May 30, 2011 12:20 AM
Ryan Thompson wrote:My 05 Sunfire has had this since brand spanking new also. Never worried about it then, not worried about it now

^^^ Told you people I'm not crazy!!! I swear i'm not!!!!

Monday, May 30, 2011 6:47 AM
Mine was green. They have a bunch of different colors in the quality fluids so that you can switch between two of them every time you do your brakes so that you really really know when you have flushed all the brake fluid out.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search