Best Full Coil-Over Kit - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Best Full Coil-Over Kit
Friday, April 13, 2012 11:48 AM
..say what?

if the teins are "not designed to be slammed" then why does tein offer a warranty and the ability TO have them slammed without voiding it?

(i actually just called Tein USA and confirmed this. they say, and i am quoting here... )

"They have been designed to handle and dampen the entire full range of adjustability they are allowed."

the only issue with a voided warranty he talked about was abuse and if the bump stop deteriorated due to being slammed as if pieces got into the shaft area they would not be covered. in other words if you drive on @!#$ty streets and are slammed it will more than likely destroy the bump stops. but if you are out on a track or not driving in hell you should be ok

i would venture a guess as to STD or any other manufacturer having similar warranty claims.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!

Friday, April 13, 2012 12:16 PM
Thansk Brad.
I think im going STD, after I get my house, these will be my first purchase.
I was also just thinking, if I dump it, its going to be hard to jack it up.
Just want a nice stance.
Friday, April 13, 2012 12:21 PM
exactly, and i totally agree. i really would only want to dump mine maybe once or twice for pictures and maybe the biggest car show of the year but as far as driving around that way is concerned i believe its for the birds.

Friday, April 13, 2012 1:51 PM
Stds wouldn't have that issue though as you can lower the suspension without affecting travel. I still would not suggest slamming the car on teins but then again I like my car to go around a corner...

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:33 PM
I have b+g full coil overs the ones rksport use to sell the overkill solid mounts will work for them???
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:26 PM
jdm cav9 wrote:I have b+g full coil overs the ones rksport use to sell the overkill solid mounts will work for them???

the older version?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:27 PM
Yes the ones with those smaller helper springs
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:10 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:..say what?

if the teins are "not designed to be slammed" then why does tein offer a warranty and the ability TO have them slammed without voiding it?

(i actually just called Tein USA and confirmed this. they say, and i am quoting here... )

"They have been designed to handle and dampen the entire full range of adjustability they are allowed."

Well I will admit the bottoming out thing was more hearsay as far as I have known. But when they are slammed they without a doubt loose a bit of their dampening abilities. I know that from experience. The STD's wont do that.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:26 AM
right and rightfully so.. however, its still covered under warranty at that level. so regardless of if its a crap ride or not, its still within the design features of the strut.

a bit to add on this...

(to vince mostly)

i talked to STD about getting different colors. they said that is not an option.. HOWEVER you CAN get different spring rate springs from them and they come in black. they were supposed to call me back on if there was a black spring option that had the identical rates as what comes with the kit.

i could live with the blue since the black springs are available. still wont match my "scheme" but oh well. i believe you girls have sold me on them due to the dual height adjustment.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:07 AM
you can also get custom spring rates from Swift springs. they will build to your specs i believe. just have to watch that you aren't out of the effective damping range of the strut.

Monday, April 23, 2012 12:18 PM
Will the overkill solid mounts work on the older b+g from rksport setup? never got an answer

Monday, April 23, 2012 12:24 PM
if the ones out dont work he will make ones that do.

STD finally called me back a few days ago...

they said they dont make the same spring rate springs as the j-body kit in black.

so, just paint them they said or get different rated springs.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:12 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:if the ones out dont work he will make ones that do.

STD finally called me back a few days ago...

they said they dont make the same spring rate springs as the j-body kit in black.

so, just paint them they said or get different rated springs.

Will STD still honor the warrenty if we change out the springs???

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:19 AM
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:49 PM
I would plastidip them.... Flexible and peels off if you dont like it....

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:17 PM
I love my BC BR coilovers they are three hundred more than the tein basics they came out to be 1200 with the extreme drop kit included which lets you go really really low and you can specify what spring rate you want when you order them. I only had them for two months so im not sure of the durability since I cant find any other cavalier on BC's but they are great coilovers i can go really low and still ride amazing

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:50 AM
what happened to your coilovers

Modding my j since I found the org
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:49 PM
sorry i meant i have had them for two months so far

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:14 PM
This is how i sit right now, set to full soft, and have all my travel I can still go 2.5" lower if i wanted to but im waiting to get new wheels. also here are my coils before they were put in they come with adjustable pillowtops for the front but the only thing was that i needed to use my stock top hat for my rear

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:21 PM
this is the website i ordered them from they seem to have lowered the price on them so they are just about the same price for teins
http://www.flushstance.com/bcracing-coilovers/chevrolet/

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:39 PM
So you had to use the stock rear strut mount? STD's come with pillowball rear mounts and can go just as low if not lower than what you show there... If I wanted I could lay frame with my STD's...

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:04 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:So you had to use the stock rear strut mount? STD's come with pillowball rear mounts and can go just as low if not lower than what you show there... If I wanted I could lay frame with my STD's...

Yeah i didnt like how i had to use my stock mount i would of expected a pillowball but i only got it in the front i think it has to do with my body style cavy if i were to go to tein website they also indicate that i need to use my stock top mount. as far as lowness im no where near close to how low i can go, the "extreme drop" feature that you can purchase will let me lay frame if i wanted to also only thing stopping me is my wheel set up it rubs too much. how much are the std's by the way?

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:23 PM
this explains the extreme drop kit if you are interested
http://www.flushstance.com/bcracing-coilovers/details-faq/

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:49 AM
I read it. But just doesnt click with me... Why are they the only ones that re-engineer their setups to run lower? Should have the same travel if its lowered an inch or a mile. No need to change anything to run a different ride height. Thats where the adjustable spring perch comes in along with pre-load. Especially with the amount of threads that our struts have I dont see the need to run a different spring or strut cartridge to account for it.

Mine were $1800 shipped. Ride height adjustable, spring pre-load adjustable, shock stiffness adjustable, pillowball on all 4 corners. Dont lose any travel in the suspension no matter how high or low the car is.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:52 AM
Idk if its just me but to go lower on my coilover I dont touch the pre-load the entire tube turns and goes down into the coil, and if you go lowerr that reduces the travel it has. my friend has a set of Ksport and if he goes too low he bottoms out easier unless he is set to full stiff.Not everybody buys coilovers to be "slammed" and for the ones that do BC will make the kit for it, its on personal preference. You coils look great and has more features than mine but I would expect that from a set that cost about twice what the BC's are...better be gold plated at that price. In my opinion the BC's are a better choice than Tein's as far as most bang for your buck seeing that they run about the same price, but if you have almost 2k to use on a set then the STD's would be the way to go

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search