Closest to Stock Ride Height - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Closest to Stock Ride Height
Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:28 AM
Recently purchased a sweet 05 cavi from another jbo member. It's lowered with B&G springs on Tokico D-Specs. It looks and handles AWESOME but it's now my DD and I'm concerned about it's performance in snow conditions (especially because it's got the LSS lips and rockers). I'm assuming the D-Specs can't accept stock springs, so what can I use to get me close? Are the Tein coilovers(Clicky) going to get me the closest to stock if I crank them all the way up? I'd like to go with something like this so I could slam it again in the summer. New to the suspension game so any and all relevant feedback is appreciated.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Closest to Stock Ride Height
Sunday, August 05, 2012 8:12 AM
see no reason for them not accepting the stock springs,as long as they havent been modified ? B&G's arent coilovers right, just a lowering spring?....as Tokico's site's FAQ says its the spring alone that determines ride height ,so what im getting at i guess is *all 95-05 cavalier springs* have to have the correct bottom /top to them? so get stock ones if you want and should be fine .....from there FAQ : No, shocks alone will not lower your car, truck or SUV. Lowering springs are required to do this, and they are offered with our suspension kits for many vehicle applications. The different damping characteristics of our shocks and struts do not alter the ride height.

Sunday, August 05, 2012 10:16 AM
2KZNo, shocks alone will not lower your car, truck or SUV. Lowering springs are required to do this, and they are offered with our suspension kits for many vehicle applications.[/quote wrote:

No argument there. I just know that a lot of aftermarket shocks and struts are made for lowering springs only and won't operate properly at stock ride height. I guess I just need to call Tokico and ask to be sure. But yeah if the stock spring size fits then problem solved. Only thing that sucks about that is having to swap the springs each season if I want to drop for the summers. Are there any springs I should look into that are stock height besides gm replacements?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, August 05, 2012 10:18 AM
That's twice I've screwed up quoting here recently...>:o

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, August 05, 2012 3:09 PM
Ahh yea i see what ya mean...in looking over the site a bit i didnt see anywhere stating a min only , i think, a max of 2 but that may have been some where else best bet is to call tho to be sure....just don't hold up the line on me as ill be calling em in morning trying to get an adjuster tool, install directions etc from them hopefully a sticker or something
Would think that the coilovers be the best tho if wanting to be able to raise and lower at will , im hoping we dont have alot of snow again this year as im goin down 1.4..or so they say and im kinda nervous but not too too bad...*crosses fingers*

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:38 AM
Why not just go to the junk yard and pick up a set of stock struts and springs.....i know I paid $80 for a whole set.....they arnt that hard to install...

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:42 AM
I'm trying to hang on to the d-spec adjustable struts. Just wanted to make sure stock springs would work with them. Forgot to post back, but I called tokico and they said stock springs work just fine with d-specs.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:12 PM
I never had an issue with the snow on my lowered cavalier. I got about 5 inches or ground clearance myself and If the snows higher then that I don't think my cars gonna like driving in that.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:28 PM
Grayscale wrote:I never had an issue with the snow on my lowered cavalier. I got about 5 inches or ground clearance myself and If the snows higher then that I don't think my cars gonna like driving in that.

You don't have the LS Sport lips though; that @$#! hangs low. More importantly though, Boston's streets are complete fail. 2 years ago I was driving an 01 base model cavi(which we all know has stupid amounts of clearance) and still bottomed out in a few inches of snow. Ripped off the splitter and the bottom of the fender well, exposing the PCM. This thing is dropped 1.6 in the front and 1.4 in the back. I have no doubt that it won't stand a chance in more than an inch or 2 of snow. Boston really sucks about plowing their stuff. Even now in the summer I'm scraping my resonator on EVERYTHING. It's just that rough and terrible here.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:00 AM
you'll need to get an alignment. You'll have to get it aligned every time your switch back and forth. When the ride height is changed the front toe setting will change also. Toe is the biggest tire wear alignment angle.
Monday, September 03, 2012 1:09 AM
I have been lowered for 7 years and have yet to have a problem in the snow. it more about tires in the snow

see ya!

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:06 AM
Bridgestone Blizzalks on 14" steelies is all you need
Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:24 AM
JAY (Qwank) wrote:Bridgestone Blizzalks on 14" steelies is all you need

fo sho. I'll be grabbing some of those out of a local yard before winter. My last cavi had those rims and it was awesome in the snow. I'm still worried though. I bottomed out at stock height on that car. I think it was kind of a freak thing but I just really don't want it to happen to the new car.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, September 08, 2012 10:01 AM
...anyone know what *stock ride height * is on a 2k Z?...ground to fender arch?..i.e. ground to top of tire + the dreaded GAP~..just curious cuz my dspec kit said it was 1.4 inches but i only see like 1 at most , sitting at like 26 1/4 now and swore i got like 27 or so before ..have put a cpl thousand miles on em so should be broke in...

Sunday, September 09, 2012 8:09 PM
whats springs came with your dpecs? shocks alone dont lower your car.

Sunday, September 09, 2012 9:02 PM
Well I posted saying it had b&gs but since have found out it has h&rs. They're killing me on Boston streets. I really need to just get some factory springs back in it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, September 09, 2012 9:07 PM
Didn't read the post above. My b...

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, September 09, 2012 9:12 PM
you need to find a set of springs with maybe a softer spring rate.

Monday, September 10, 2012 3:44 AM
Azncav (was static) wrote:whats springs came with your dpecs? shocks alone dont lower your car.

They were tokico's was a complete kit on there site it said 1.4 inch drop from them and I'm just trying to figure if I was already lower than stock due to weak factory stuff

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:33 PM
bleh... my mistake lol. best bet is to find another stock cavi coupe doesnt even have to be a z24.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 10, 2012 4:35 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search