Cavalier vibrates when stopping on highway - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavalier vibrates when stopping on highway
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:46 PM
Hey guys I have a 96 cavalier. I has new lower control arms with balljoints, front pads and rotors, front sway bar links and front struts. I also just had 4 new tires put on, balanced and aligned. The previous owner put new rear pads and wheel cylinders on it. The car drives smooth no matter how fast your going. In the city going under 50mph it stops smooth too. When I'm on the highway doing 65+ and hit the brakes the car vibrates until I slow Down. I don't feel it in the plead r wheel. It kinda feels like it is coming from the rear like it is hopping. Any ideas what it could be?

Re: Cavalier vibrates when stopping on highway
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:24 PM
Pull the drums off and see if the shoes are worn or damaged..

Have a nice day.
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:10 PM
Or pull the drums off and turn them

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:25 PM
why two posts?

Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:06 AM
sorry i accidently hit submit twice? Im not sure why there are two. This one can be deleted sicne the other one has more replies. Thanks.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:08 PM
Could be a lot of things. new tires? This seems most probable as you state this was just done. If the vehicle ran fine before the tire installation, this is where I would look. Especially! if you had this done at a mom & pop tire shop. Probably just out of balance, hopefully! If you drive at high speeds as I do, (I run mine to the cutout point all the time which is a 108 on my CAV) you might consider a high speed, on car balance job, but this is $100 bucks, and you need to know if this is the problem first, it could also be one of the tires is defective. It's rare, but not unheard of, and can cause what you describe. Like I said if this started after the new tires were installed, I would be highly suspect of that area.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search