Stagg struts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stagg struts
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:06 AM
I just want to let you all know that stagg shs struts are garbage. I purchased these about a year ago for my 00 2.2 cavi, and they are a huge disappointment. Already replaced a rear for an exploded bushing. And now my fronts are making a vibrating noise at slow speeds.
I suggest to stick with reliable struts.
---anyone else try these out yet?

Ohhhh cheeves

Re: Stagg struts
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:23 PM
Did you expect better results from a generic brand? A quick search on Google would have shown they're bargain basement dampers.

What's an "exploded" bushing look like?

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:05 AM
I really like my staggs. They have a limited lifetime warranty so as long as your not racing the car or have a drop more than 2 inches you should be able to get it replaced.
Friday, December 20, 2013 5:29 PM
James Cahill wrote:Did you expect better results from a generic brand? A quick search on Google would have shown they're bargain basement dampers.

What's an "exploded" bushing look like?

From left to right, My original (old) koni red bushings, rubber bushings from local spring shop after 6 months, brand new ones as I bought 4 to have a spare set. I just replaced them with Energy suspension ones, The koni ones were worn but had no play in them, the other rubber bushings, when I jacked the car up, I could lift the wheel up and down.

To OP
Are the struts on stock springs? If so, why not buy GR2s or Monroe or something for $50/strut?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:15 PM
I wouldn't call those "exploded". Mangled or destroyed maybe.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 4:28 PM
I have these on my tercel. I'm not nice to these this at all ( farmers fields, atv trails, dirt roads) but mine seem to have held up and are still smooth around town, if not a little firm. I'm on stock springs.
Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:08 PM
I'm glad they have worked for some of you guys. I'm not racing my cav, but rather having fun with it, and using it on a daily basis. The reason i tried these shocks was due to a car accident that involved new control arms, sub (k) frame, fender, bumper, headlights, torque strut mount, engine cradle, ac compressor, motor mount, struts and strut towers, headlights, & injector harness. This was all expensive, and i had to save as much money as i could. so i invested in tools instead of mechanics and did all the work myself. Bottom line is that after 10 months the rear strut bushing blew out, so the strut body was running into the rear axle beam where the strut mounts to the axle. Stagg replaced it with a mislabeled strut, clearly this was shorter than the proper height by about 10 inches. I tried to explain to them. and keeping my cool and all, they told me i was crazy, i was wrong and did not understand anything... (their exact words) i had to run to their warehouse and make them Mach it up, just so i could get them to understand what i was saying. And all thanks to a little part number misprint. Then recently they said i was crazy when I said that the struts would not clear snow chains, (cables).... Their response was that my wheels were too big... I know I'm not crazy when the wheels are stock wheels. Also when I'm a perfectionist enough to realize that these stagg shocks were too short in the main piston body by about an inch, and had 3/4 in, of extra stroke. Im a bike mechanic and hydraulic suspension is what i do for a living.
I would give them another shot, however they are local where o live,

Ohhhh cheeves
Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:10 PM
I'm glad they have worked for some of you guys. I'm not racing my cav, but rather having fun with it, and using it on a daily basis. The reason i tried these shocks was due to a car accident that involved new control arms, sub (k) frame, fender, bumper, headlights, torque strut mount, engine cradle, ac compressor, motor mount, struts and strut towers, headlights, & injector harness. This was all expensive, and i had to save as much money as i could. so i invested in tools instead of mechanics and did all the work myself. Bottom line is that after 10 months the rear strut bushing blew out, so the strut body was running into the rear axle beam where the strut mounts to the axle. Stagg replaced it with a mislabeled strut, clearly this was shorter than the proper height by about 10 inches. I tried to explain to them. and keeping my cool and all, they told me i was crazy, i was wrong and did not understand anything... (their exact words) i had to run to their warehouse and make them Mach it up, just so i could get them to understand what i was saying. And all thanks to a little part number misprint. Then recently they said i was crazy when I said that the struts would not clear snow chains, (cables).... Their response was that my wheels were too big... I know I'm not crazy when the wheels are stock wheels. Also when I'm a perfectionist enough to realize that these stagg shocks were too short in the main piston body by about an inch, and had 3/4 in, of extra stroke. Im a bike mechanic and hydraulic suspension is what i do for a living.
I would give them another shot, however they will not respond to email, or phone calls anymore. And they are only 10min from where i live.
Bummer

Ohhhh cheeves
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search