Willwood Parts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Willwood Parts
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:58 AM
Has anyone ever used the plain face rotors from Wilwood with their kits? I am thinking that since the car isnt a daily, and will only see a drag strip, that i might switch to them. They are 1/5th the price, same dimensions, just not drilled and slotted. To me is shouldnt make a HUGE difference in the braking ability of a straight lined car.

It would see occasional daily use, and mainly 1/4 mile nights....

gimme your opinions about this please.

Re: Willwood Parts
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:33 AM
I really can't see it making a big difference. IMO it seems like drilled and slotted rotors are mainly for looks unless you're racing a GT circuit.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:45 AM
yeah ryan thats my thought too. I can get a complete brake job....front and rear...even parking brake shoes for under 400 shipped if i do plain faced. to do the SRP, the rotors alone would be over 500 bucks.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:55 AM
Yeah there's no way in my mind that it's worth that kind of money.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:58 PM
dont care about the cost, ill stick with the best. slotted and drilled... not only for better braking, but for less weight.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:06 PM
can you prove that they function better brad? according to Wilwood, they will function the same is used the same.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:37 PM
You should actually have better braking power since there is more surface area untill they heat up, then you will see the difference. At the strip you will probably be better with solid rotors since you only have to stop once. On a track they would have a negative impact after a lap or 2. The only downside is weight.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:58 PM
weight between the rotors i would buy and the SRP ones is only .1 lbs

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:03 PM
Lol exactly. ALLL that weight!! Just skip the cheeseburger before the run.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:08 PM
On cars that weigh under 3k lbs, or cars that aren't seeing track (I mean road race) use, a regular, smooth face rotor will work fine. In fact, the factory vented rotors on J bodies work just fine, even for the occasional autocross or drag race.

When the F&F scene kicked in 15 yrs ago, the only cars that had cross drilled and/or slotted rotors were cars that actually needed them (road race, time attack, etc, and there were hardly any drag racing cars that had them). But once Modified Mag said they were cool, everyone needed them, and the aftermarket cashed in on it. The reason for a cross drilled rotor is to vent gas that builds up between the pad and rotor after numerous heating/cooling cycles. Street cars will never see that, PERIOD. Slotted rotors are designed to increase surface area to promote more even cooling after excessive heat build up. Street cars will never see that either, PERIOD. Cross drilled AND slotted rotors are designed to handle both issues at once. If you don't need one feature, you definitely don't need both. PERIOD. Overcooling brakes is just as bad as overheating them. Real race teams actually collect data using temp reactive paint to determine braking effectiveness. I did it one time years ago and found that even using the factory 91+ (which carried on all the way through 05) system, there was more than enough cooling. Switching to a higher bite pad and slotted rotors actually decreased the overall effectiveness versus just using a higher bite pad. Temps were a touch high after repeated braking, so I ran a simple duct to the center of the rotor and managed to keep temps controlled, but still effective.

Just because it costs more doesn't mean it's needed, or any better than what you've got.

The preceding does not apply to show cars, since they're only built to look fast, but never actually go fast.

Friday, December 20, 2013 7:39 AM
those were pretty much my understandings from the reading i did...Thanks for the input James. I have ordered the rotors and pads, should have them tomorrow hopefully, If not then Monday.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 1:56 PM
I planned on using either plain or slotted rotors on my next Wilwood brake setup.

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Friday, January 03, 2014 11:02 AM
Plain face rotors...

Saturday, January 04, 2014 7:05 PM
and im still in for the weight savings with drilled/slotted. id bet its 1-2 pounds per rotor in this size...

Sunday, January 05, 2014 1:42 PM
an once or two brad...i already said this....weights are all on the wilwood website.

Sunday, January 05, 2014 7:12 PM
i guess i drove bad enough to need the extra cooling from the slotted rotors. i do need to upgrade to a 91 and up brake system for my 90.

grats on the purchase they look great on there.

Monday, January 06, 2014 6:42 AM
Here are the weights straight from Wilwood.
Attachments
pf.png (118k)
ds.png (114k)

Monday, January 06, 2014 9:21 AM
EvoFire (Wilwoods on all 4) wrote:an once or two brad...i already said this....weights are all on the wilwood website.

that makes absolutely no sense. the holes they drills equate to more than .1 pound. i dont care what the website says.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 9:59 AM
So hard headed Brad!! lol

Did you ever think that it might be two different castings, and maybe the drilled and slotted are beefed up in other areas? According to Jeff at Wilwood, that is EXACTLY the case. the drilled and slotted were not designed for weight savings, but for heat transfer and dissapation.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 10:47 AM
fair enough. cant proof my theory right as i wont buy the solid discs to compare weights to my slotted/drilled discs anyway so i havent any ground to stand on LOL

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 11:23 AM
LOL Brad.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search