Lowering Cavalier with some wheels, is more than half the cost of your car - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lowering Cavalier with some wheels, is more than half the cost of your car
Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:11 AM
Let's do an example here. Let's supposed you want to lower the cavalier as much as possible, while still looking good. The recommended parts usually are

- Eibach Sportlines
- Tokico D-Spec Struts

Let's see the prices on these parts

Cheapest Eibach sportlines I have found online

http://streetperformanceusa.com/i-9593606-eibach-sportline-extreme-lowering-springs-includes-front-rear.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3IieBRDl1oG0gr_PweoBEiQAwGHVw5MeI3YuyRy9ZIwGSOtKV4NT
Jr9VjdttAMm05-brCDwaAuAB8P8HAQ

$218 + shipping $40 = $260

Cheapest Tokico D-spec

$607 + shipping $38 = $645

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TODSP-1&Category_Code=TOKICO-DSPEC-COMPLETE&Store_Code=EM&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3IieBRDl1oG0gr_PweoBEiQAwGHVww2nuNqq gXO9DlOSiY_PlocEbLNShvduVftk2Cizna8aAqGw8P8HAQ

The total is $905 + installation = around $1000

1000 dollars to lower a cavalier, mainly because of the cheapness of the car, we are forced to buy new struts

To that, add the price of new wheels and tires, cause who rides lowered without new wheels? no one, and now you are neighboring around $1500-2000k

A cavalier right now, in stock form, and with 70k miles, how much do you really think people would pay for it?

At the most $3000, if that

You are basically spending $1000-2000 to lower your car with some new wheels, more than half the current value on your car, just to lower it a few inches, and make it look "faster", when in reality, 99% of people won't even notice the difference

Might as well, sell your cavalier, and use those $2000 to get a better vehicles, that looks better (lowered suspension, better wheels, etc) from the factory

Re: Lowering Cavalier with some wheels, is more than half the cost of your car
Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:16 AM
Also, the majority of people who own this car, don't mod it, they use it for what they really are, transportation, good of gas, from point A to B, cheap throwaway cars

Only a very small community is actually modding the cavalier and sunfires, therefore, these parts, never go down in price, since very few people actually buy them

I know because I have keep track of these parts since 2008, and they haven't gone down in price at all, obviously not, since very few are buying them
Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:32 AM
what are you trying to accomplish with posts like this? We know these cars are gm junk and that you have to pay for quality parts. Where are you going with this?

Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:06 AM
Its a butthurt thing.

That's all.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, July 13, 2014 2:20 PM
joe satriani wrote:

To that, add the price of new wheels and tires, cause who rides lowered without new wheels? no one, and now you are neighboring around $1500-2000k

Im glad I only spent $400 for wheels then... He must have bought unicorn wheels and tires to get $2,000,000 price to be hovering around....

Sunday, July 13, 2014 2:31 PM
My new wheels and tires cost 200 bucks off of Craigslist right now there is an identical set of wheels with tires for 175 on there so you don't have to spend that much on wheels and tires. And there are a ton of other spring options too like the Megan springs which are 150 for a 2 inch drop and are still good springs several members here have used them and there is a whole thread about them in the suspension forum as well. And you can use the KYB AGXs with them which are much cheaper than sportlines.

So then

Megan springs $159 from Megan racing

Kyb AGX 87.92 each from auto parts express total $352

So let's say both are $50 dollars for shipping

$611 for suspension
You can spend 500 on wheels and tires and the total cost is $1111

Personally I don't count tires as a modification cost because I'll have to replace them at some point anyway but that's just me.

Also I sold my steel wheels with nearly bald tires for $20 apiece so that's 80 bucks back from that bringing the total cost to $1031 which isn't that terrible for new wheels tires and suspension plus if you get your wheels and tires off Craigslist you could easily get them for less than 400 dollars

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Sunday, July 13, 2014 3:52 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
joe satriani wrote:

Im glad I only spent $400 for wheels then... He must have bought unicorn wheels and tires to get $2,000,000 price to be hovering around....

This is so typical of the internet, I remember last year making a thread about how is too expensive to lower the cavalier because of the cost of parts

and many people would come to claim they got the tokico and eibach sportlines, for half the price, from X place, craiglist, used, or some wonder place lol

is so typical of the internet for people to claim they have gotten things for cheaper, guess what, im good with the internet, i have searched everywhere, these parts are nowhere to be sold for that low, NOWHERE, they are not on craiglist, ebay, no where, except retail, their price NEVER drops, never

You may have gotten your wheels for $400, but guess what, you still need tires for your new bigger wheels, add $200, now you paid 600

now, add the cost of lowering the car, which im sure you have, which can cost up to 900

and now you have spent around 1500, im sure you will come and claim like the typical internet "i get everything cheaper" kid

that u have gotten the suspension parts for cheap lol, you still spent at least 1000 on all i mentioned

basically almost half the cost of your car, which is modded, and is value is very low due to that fact lol
Sunday, July 13, 2014 4:02 PM
backpacker3 wrote:My new wheels and tires cost 200 bucks off of Craigslist right now there is an identical set of wheels with tires for 175 on there so you don't have to spend that much on wheels and tires. And there are a ton of other spring options too like the Megan springs which are 150 for a 2 inch drop and are still good springs several members here have used them and there is a whole thread about them in the suspension forum as well. And you can use the KYB AGXs with them which are much cheaper than sportlines.

So then

$611 for suspension

Personally I don't count tires as a modification cost because I'll have to replace them at some point anyway but that's just me.

Also I sold my steel wheels with nearly bald tires for $20 apiece so that's 80 bucks back from that bringing the total cost to $1031 which isn't that terrible for new wheels tires and suspension plus if you get your wheels and tires off Craigslist you could easily get them for less than 400 dollars

I'm only counting the tires and wheels, because of the whole cost, who rides lowered without new wheels?

you don't get lowered, or get new wheels, you have to do them both

My point is that, you are still spending 1k for lowering and wheels, it will change the look of the car sure

Some people here have spent even 2k for these, basically half the cost of your car, which is modded, its value is not much

why spend so much money, when you can simply sell the car, and use those 1 or 2k, towards a better vehicles, which may have better interior parts, and exterior look?

People on this site, have spent thousands on their cars, and they are still far from being head turners, some have spent even more than the value of the car itself

You are going to impress anyone with your modded cavalier or sunfire, so basically you are doing for yourself, you see how modding is the worse hobby ever?

they admit is useless, and you waste money on an empty dream of making it look fast and be fast, yet they continue doing it

I read a story of some guy, who spent thousands on his sunfire, and he crashed, totaled, and sold his car for $400

basically wasted thousands of dollars on nothing, only to receive 400 in the end? that' sucks
Sunday, July 13, 2014 4:24 PM
I'm selling used tokico d specs with h&r springs and new front mounts right now.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:04 PM
Maybe they had stock alloys that they like though. If I had a cavalier with the wheels in yellow caves sig I would keep them in fact I'm always keeping an eye out for a set on Craigslist.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:23 PM
Actually if you must know... $400 for wheels, $600 in tires, $1800 in suspension... Do you want to know why? Because I earn my own money and spend it on whatever I choose. Plus it made my car ride and handle $3000 better than stock... WORTH EVERY PENNY

Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:22 PM
moral of the story? who gives a @!#$? ...seriously?

what are these "better" cars that you suggest we go out and spend even MORE money on? apparently you don't know that a j-body can hang with plenty of stuff out there, being literally THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper in the long run.

in the end... modding ANY car is not the smartest thing in the world to do. we just choose these because quite frankly, its OUR CHOICE. we don't do it for resale value. we don't do it to please others like yourself. we do it to please OURSELVES.

Now, kindly take your trolling elsewhere. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Monday, July 14, 2014 5:33 AM
joe satriani wrote:...You are basically spending $1000-2000 to lower your car with some new wheels, more than half the current value on your car, just to lower it a few inches, and make it look "faster", when in reality, 99% of people won't even notice the difference

Might as well, sell your cavalier, and use those $2000 to get a better vehicles, that looks better (lowered suspension, better wheels, etc) from the factory
You have answered your own question right here:

joe satriani wrote:...You are(n't) going to impress anyone with your modded cavalier or sunfire, so basically you are doing for yourself...

You and others who have had this sort of crybaby rant make me laugh. People do things for their own reasons, who the fuck do you think you are to judge them?
I have personally dumped countless hours of my time and thousands of dollars into my 95 Cavalier, because I made the money, and I'll do with it what pleases me. No one here is doing anything for your approval.

Yes, these cars are cheap pieces of crap. That's what makes them such a great platform to build your own thing out of. I happen to like the lines of the 3rd gen J-body.
There is almost nothing left on my car that is stock. It's something I built. It's something that I enjoy doing. I can tell you that a large portion of the JBO veterans around here feel the same. No one does this as an investment. It's a hobby. You even said it yourself.

Why do you even waste your time with this kind of bitchy post?

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:22 AM
There's clearly sand in his vagina. ^^

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:10 AM
There was a set of rksport pro streets (full coilover with built in strut) on the Facebook jbody group for $100. (They were listed locally on craigslist as well) Add a craigslist set of wheels and tires ($250-400 depending on style, all with near new tires in my area) and I could lower my sedan for $500 or less.

Just because you are incapable of finding deals doesn't mean they don't exist.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:27 PM
strat81 wrote:There was a set of rksport pro streets (full coilover with built in strut) on the Facebook jbody group for $100. (They were listed locally on craigslist as well) Add a craigslist set of wheels and tires ($250-400 depending on style, all with near new tires in my area) and I could lower my sedan for $500 or less.

lol typical

on this forum everyone has gotten everything for cheap, they are the master of negotiation and persuasion

somehow, they all magically mod their cars without breaking the bank
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:05 PM
joe satriani wrote:
strat81 wrote:There was a set of rksport pro streets (full coilover with built in strut) on the Facebook jbody group for $100. (They were listed locally on craigslist as well) Add a craigslist set of wheels and tires ($250-400 depending on style, all with near new tires in my area) and I could lower my sedan for $500 or less.

lol typical

on this forum everyone has gotten everything for cheap, they are the master of negotiation and persuasion

He didn't buy them they were just for sale. The reason people find stuff like that is because they're looking in the right places for them

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:02 PM
joe satriani wrote:

lol typical

Not at all... My first setup was Koni yellows and goldlines. Paid around $700 in 04. Wheels/tires at the time ran me another $750. Sold both the suspension and wheels and tires, paid 1300 for my tein ss coilovers and another $1200 or so for the fn01rc wrapped in hankook tires. Plan on selling the teins here soon and going with another coilover setup that will likely be even more expensive.

I don't mod my car to worry about the resale value. I build the car because I enjoy working on it and improving its performance.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 4:30 PM
joe satriani wrote:
backpacker3 wrote:My new wheels and tires cost 200 bucks off of Craigslist right now there is an identical set of wheels with tires for 175 on there so you don't have to spend that much on wheels and tires. And there are a ton of other spring options too like the Megan springs which are 150 for a 2 inch drop and are still good springs several members here have used them and there is a whole thread about them in the suspension forum as well. And you can use the KYB AGXs with them which are much cheaper than sportlines.

So then

$611 for suspension

I'm only counting the tires and wheels, because of the whole cost, who rides lowered without new wheels?

you don't get lowered, or get new wheels, you have to do them both

My point is that, you are still spending 1k for lowering and wheels, it will change the look of the car sure

Some people here have spent even 2k for these, basically half the cost of your car, which is modded, its value is not much

why spend so much money, when you can simply sell the car, and use those 1 or 2k, towards a better vehicles, which may have better interior parts, and exterior look?

People on this site, have spent thousands on their cars, and they are still far from being head turners, some have spent even more than the value of the car itself

You are going to impress anyone with your modded cavalier or sunfire, so basically you are doing for yourself, you see how modding is the worse hobby ever?

they admit is useless, and you waste money on an empty dream of making it look fast and be fast, yet they continue doing it

I read a story of some guy, who spent thousands on his sunfire, and he crashed, totaled, and sold his car for $400

basically wasted thousands of dollars on nothing, only to receive 400 in the end? that' sucks

I'm lowered on stock wheels. My koni and eibachs were $450 from a member on here and near brand new. Just have it look and be patient as all my parts were 2nd hand but most were brand new.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:19 PM
Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:54 AM
joe satriani wrote:

lol typical

It's not magic. It's patience and prudence. If you can't find deals on parts it's because you aren't trying.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:03 AM
James Cahill wrote:
joe satriani wrote:

lol typical

It's not magic. It's patience and prudence. If you can't find deals on parts it's because you aren't trying.

the problem is that you assume i'm not trying, anyone can search on those sites previously mentioned

only reason you and some other found deals was because of luck, you happened lived in the area, town, street, at the exact time and moment that you checked the deals, some other guys magically decided to sell his cavalier part for cheap

stop acting like you are some kind of internet deal grabbing guru
Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:53 AM
There is no such thing as luck, otherwise you would have stopped posting by now. Now bad luck on the other hand....

Friday, July 18, 2014 7:28 AM
joe satriani wrote:stop acting like you are some kind of internet deal grabbing guru
He's not acting like a guru, he's telling you that you have to just be patient and keep looking, instead of being a whiney prick.

Friday, July 18, 2014 7:31 AM
strat81 wrote:Full coilovers for $475.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=16&i=41327&t=41327
I love how the OP completely ignores this post, and continues to bitch that he can never find the good deals people here have mentioned.

Joe, or whatever your name really is, STFU already.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search