Poly control arm bushings/control arm swap - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Poly control arm bushings/control arm swap
Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:04 PM
Will the poly bushings do a good job on their own for the stock J control arms, or is it better to swap to some grand-am control arms along with poly bushings?

Re: Poly control arm bushings/control arm swap
Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:02 PM
The difference i saw with the stock control arm and the GA arms is that the stockers are not one solid piece and they are made out of steel and the 99 GA arms are solid aluminum. Another thing to keep in mind is if you run the GA arms they are a 1/2" longer than the stockers so you would have to have them modified if you want to retain the stock length of control arm. That is all i can say pretty much for now cause i have not yet ran the GA arms on my car yet but i have them sitting at the house and just from holding the two side by side those were the differences i noticed. hope this helps.
Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:19 PM
If you are swapping control arm bushings I dont know of a reason not to swap to the aluminum grand am control arms. The added length hasn't shown any ill effects, helps with handling, and is very cost effective. I paid ~$40 for my control arms from a U-pull it junkyard and the poly bushings were only ~$40 too. The new ball joints were the most expensive part(need to run J-body ball joints). I did a bunch of other little suspension upgrades at the same time but the car felt ALOT better than with just coil-overs and sway bars.

I am running Prothane poly control arm bushings too.

No spacers, just grand am control arms and 35mm offset wheels tucked under toyota cavalier fenders.

I wouldn't question installing them on any other J-body that I build.

Monday, November 03, 2014 8:26 AM
Jake Boyd wrote:Will the poly bushings do a good job on their own for the stock J control arms, or is it better to swap to some grand-am control arms along with poly bushings?
To answer your question...Yes, they will do a good job on their own. However, the aluminum arms are defintely a worthwhile upgrade as well, so if you can score yourself a set, I'd do both.

Monday, November 03, 2014 3:25 PM
I have a pair of aluminum control arms that are modified to fit the J and with poly bushings pressed in. I bought them in a group buy and have never used them. If you are interested pm about buying them.

I accidentally the SHIFT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:58 AM
My poly control arm bushings were toast after just 40K, very disappointed and this also wrecked the control arms, so I went back to stock bushings and control arms...just throwing this out there to check your bushings routinely.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Friday, November 21, 2014 5:59 PM
Which company did you use FastFireTwoTwo? I plan on getting the Prothane bushings from Ebay for $40.
Monday, November 24, 2014 5:45 AM
I assume they were not the Prothane bushing, and if they were. He would be the first person to ever complain about them.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search