Just replaced rear brake hardware now brakes automatically overtighten. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just replaced rear brake hardware now brakes automatically overtighten.
Monday, August 10, 2015 11:53 PM
I just replaced drums, pads, springs, and wheel cylinders on my 2001 cavalier. I had to turn the star wheels all the way in on both sides just to get the drums on and theyre pretty tight. After i drive it for a little while the auto adjusters turn the star wheels out even more! until the drums get so hot they start to grab going down the road without the brake pressed at all. i read somewhere online that the ebrake might have auto tightened too much with the old worn out hardware still on there and that I need to adjust the ebrake cable to loosen them up some. But everything says you cant adjust the cable as it auto adjusts. Has anybody had this problem when replacing old worn out rear drum brakes?
thanks

Re: Just replaced rear brake hardware now brakes automatically overtighten.
Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:52 PM
Try double checking your hardware installation. It is possible something may not have been put back right. I just replaced my wheel cylinders and don't remember having to back off on the adjuster star much to get my drums back on, and with enough drag to get a revolution in (or two)when spun by hand. You're supposed to be able to adjust further by reversing a couple of times and giving a good brake. I also bled my brakes, just in case any air got in the lines. As far as manually adjusting the cable; there's a spring loaded nut underneath the middle rear of the car that you can further tighten or in your case loosen.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search