Brake drums - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brake drums
Sunday, March 27, 2016 7:53 PM
So I looked through my Haynes manual and it wasn't able to answer my question, are the brake drums from a 95-02 & 03-05 different? As in measurement wise or even with certain packages such as the ls or ls sport?

Reason I ask is I am in the process of replacing my rear brakes/hubs and when I looked up drums I found several but some were deemed incompatible with my 04 yet I couldn't find any noticeable visual difference. The measurements were a little different but not by much and if I can shave a few bucks I'll get the cheaper "incompatible" drums.

Re: Brake drums
Sunday, March 27, 2016 10:08 PM
As far as i know u can 95-05 drums as long as they are the same size. There are 2 different sizes. Look at the stamping on the drum to determine the correct size

ReD RaiN
Sunday, March 27, 2016 11:49 PM
Ah, was not aware of the size difference actually being a thing. I'll check out the stamping then
Thanks
Monday, March 28, 2016 1:32 PM
Yes a difference.

I believe in 02 or 03 they changed.

We once put 05 cavy rear brakes on a second gen cavalier.

FU Tuning

Monday, March 28, 2016 6:07 PM
How'd that turn out?
Saturday, April 02, 2016 8:00 AM
They changed in 03. 03+ is slightly larger than 02-. You can swap them onto the earlier design by swapping the back plate to the 03+ design and then using the 03+ hardware. Not hard at all.

Thursday, April 07, 2016 9:57 AM
Did they stop using the t-50 torx bolts on the rear hubs for 03-05? I swapped out my hubs yesterday and realized I had normal bolts instead of torx bolts. I did this on my 97 as the torx bolts are a pain in the ass for the rear so I was just curious, also the spring system is different(much easier imo) but sheesh that red wish bone spring that holds the bottom of the shoes in place is a huge pain that and the e brake cable. Kinda wished they put disc brakes on the 03-05 models or at the very least ls sport package
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search