Converting rear drums to discs... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Converting rear drums to discs...
Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:21 PM
Can this even be done? And if so, does anyone know of anyone that has done it? And yes, I searched.

Re: Converting rear drums to discs...
Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:38 PM
Quote:

Can this even be done? And if so, does anyone know of anyone that has done it?

yes on both questions.

maybe you did not search hard enough because you probaly would of found something like this

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, July 07, 2005 6:38 PM
I meant I searched the forums. I never even occured to me to search elsewhere.
Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:23 PM
I have the Baer kit for sale $500 takes it.

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE
Saturday, July 09, 2005 10:51 PM
Killercavi, lets chat
Sunday, July 10, 2005 9:47 PM
email addy is in the profile and it is posted in the classifieds.

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE
Monday, July 11, 2005 1:14 PM
Give me a few days to get together my How-To for using Dodge Neon discs. Anyone who was at the Bash can vouch for how simple it was and how stock it looks. And also how cheap it was too (under $300 if you play it right)

Monday, July 11, 2005 2:51 PM
James Cahill wrote:Give me a few days to get together my How-To for using Dodge Neon discs. Anyone who was at the Bash can vouch for how simple it was and how stock it looks. And also how cheap it was too (under $300 if you play it right)

more info and pics?

FU Tuning

Monday, July 11, 2005 4:18 PM
James Cahill wrote:Give me a few days to get together my How-To for using Dodge Neon discs. Anyone who was at the Bash can vouch for how simple it was and how stock it looks. And also how cheap it was too (under $300 if you play it right)

You sir, are the man!

Monday, July 11, 2005 4:34 PM
Justin, Wilwood has a kit, but if I remember correctly it uses a 12 inch rotor, so I would also upgrade the fronts, but the front upgrade requires an aftermarket 16 inch wheel
Monday, July 11, 2005 4:47 PM

i notice you have a 2nd gen, will this trick work on 3rd gens or what??

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)

Monday, July 11, 2005 5:57 PM
The wheel bearing has the same exact bolt pattern from 82-05. There are two different bearings available- 82-91 (pre ABS) and 92-05 (ABS). I made some quick measurements on a 3rd gen at the Bash, and it looks like it will bolt right up. The only thing I can't guarantee is the proportioning since I'm running a Bonneville master with adjustable proportioning (which is another option for 3rd gens). There were several people at the Bash who said they were going to try it, until then, I can't say yes or no.

Here's some pics-
(You'll notice the machine work was done after the powdercoat, since there was a material availability issue at the machine shop, and I needed something to get to the Bash. It just so happened that this was even easier than the custom spindle I had designed to work with the Cav axle.)

It uses-
modified Neon caliper bracket
Neon caliper
Neon backing plate
Neon rotor
Cavalier bearing
Cavalier bearing bolts

There needs to be a spacer either between the bearing and bracket or the bearing and rotor so the rotor doesn't rub the backing plate. Its only like .080" or something. I don't actually have it made yet, I just used some washers on the studs to make it to the Bash.

There may need to be some clearencing done on the top of the 3rd gen axle to clear the e-brake cable casting on the caliper bracket. I needed to take maybe 1/8" off mine.

Neons use 2 cables, so you'll need to build a bracket to attach the inside end to and use the Neon balance bar-

I ran my cables in right behind my roll bar, and the little rubber "cups" on the cables were in exactly the right spot for the hole I drilled-

I'm more than happy to help anyone out with all the part numbers (Dodge) that they need, and anything else they might have questions about, but I would rater get it all into some sort of formal How-To that answers all the questions at once. Give me a day or two and I promise I'll get it done

Monday, July 11, 2005 6:45 PM
I beleive the e-brake cable can be done even easier:
88ragtop off v6z24 "chopped down the spring on one cable about an inch, and cut off the end tabs on both cables. Like so: "

Monday, July 11, 2005 7:43 PM
2 questions:

1. Where did you get the ebrake cables(neon, universal, etc)?
2. What year neon should the parts come from?

Monday, July 11, 2005 7:55 PM
Rksport sells the whole kit for about 800 i think was the price.. im going to get that in a few weeks ....

__________________--------------------------____________________
Team: NONE RIGHT NOW
Sponsored By: Pro Trucks
Work Being Done By: creative customs
Stuff for Sell:

Monday, July 11, 2005 8:07 PM
here is the rksport kit http://rksport.com/product/p_020810016/view_detail

__________________--------------------------____________________
Team: NONE RIGHT NOW
Sponsored By: Pro Trucks
Work Being Done By: creative customs
Stuff for Sell:

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:26 AM
Thanks for the write up James.. Im the one you talked to at the bash about trying this, along with Mike shepard.. Im going to the yard this weekend to see what I can find.. Ill be posting in this forum more often now that this is my next project(along with the motor)

Stay tuned.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:19 AM
Neons use the same caliper bracket from 95-04, the same caliper from 95-02 (and you could even get into SRT-4 parts since the bracket is the same, I'm not really sure how a bigger caliper fits it though????). I pulled all this from a 96 Neon Sport. They came with two different suspensions, a 4 lug and a 5 lug. Only the Sport, and I think the Highlines came with 5 lug, but only the 5 lugs had rear discs, so just look for a car with 5 lugs and you'll be all set.

The cables are dealer pieces ($45 apiece brand new, maybe less aftermarket). Mopar part #05273636. There are 3 different cable assemblies available, probably different between sedans and coupes, but this is the one I used.

Anyone can go out and buy a kit to do this, but who wants to spend $800+ on something that only improves appearance, when you can do it for under $300? The only thing extra you'd be paying for is the proportioning. If you do the math yourself, it would be free.

WHITECAVY wrote:Thanks for the write up James.. Im the one you talked to at the bash about trying this, along with Mike shepard.. Im going to the yard this weekend to see what I can find.. Ill be posting in this forum more often now that this is my next project(along with the motor)

Stay tuned.

I knew it was you I think it was your g/f who made sure I knew your username. I really want to see some 3rd gen guys do this. That way I know it works. If you run into a proportioning problem, shoot me an email or something, I should be able to work it out.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:46 AM
James Cahill wrote:I knew it was you I think it was your g/f who made sure I knew your username. I really want to see some 3rd gen guys do this. That way I know it works. If you run into a proportioning problem, shoot me an email or something, I should be able to work it out.

Lol oh ok.. Thanks, if I need any info(which im sure I will), Ill be emailing you.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 5:26 PM
oh fyi on the neons, only the early 95 models came with 4 lug......all 96 and up have 5 lugs

(my brother is a neon nut)

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Friday, July 15, 2005 9:00 AM
Hey james what are all the part numbers for these pieces???

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:11 AM
you're my hero

Friday, July 15, 2005 10:35 AM
You are Awesome James! In your how to could you please point out all the parts that need machining and what the changes were? That would be awesome.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"
Friday, July 15, 2005 10:53 AM
Herman wrote:Hey james what are all the part numbers for these pieces???

I'm guessing you plan on going and buying it all new? It'll cost alot, but here you go (in order according to the dealer diagram I have)-

04509504 (SOCKET, rear wheel p/brake adj screw)
04383541 (SPRING, p/brake shoe retainer upper)
04383542 (SPRING, p/brake shoe retainer lower)
04383543 (CLIP, p/brake shoe hold down)

There a 4 numbers for the shoes. One factory and three aftermarket-
V2013036
BHKP7300
BHKP7301

04383539 (NUT , p/brake adj)

There are 4 different bracket (called adapter) numbers, some come with the ABS sensor, some don't. You would have to check at the dealer for the correct one (you DON'T need the sensor, since you're still using the Cavalier bearing with the sensor built in)
04762684 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
04762685 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
04762686 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
04762687 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)

04238733 (PIN, rear wheel brake shoe hold down)
04238721 (PLUG, rear wheel brake adj hole)

Two numbers for the park brake lever. I'm not sure whch one is which. I'm guessing the 8113 is left.
04728112 (LEVER and LINK ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear wheel, right)
04728113 (LEVER and LINK ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear wheel)

04509503 (SCREW, rear wheel p/brake adj)

Two for the backing plate/shield, again, I'm guessing the second one is left)
04728110 (SHIELD, rear wheel disc brake, right)
04628111 (SHIELD, rear wheel disc brake)

04723981 (SCREW and WASHER, shield to adapter)

Three different cable numbers. My guess is that some of them are for sedans, and some are for coupes.
04509633 (CABLE ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear, w/or w/o ABS)
05273636 (CABLE ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear, w/or w/o ABS) (this is the one I used)
04446981 (CABLE ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear, w/or w/o ABS)

You also need the balancer/equalizer piece, but it nots available on its own, its only available with the entire lever assembly.
04509637 (LEVER ASSEMBLY, p/brake)

I didn't list the caliper or any of that hardware.

These are all Mopar numbers. I would definetely make sure of what you're ordering before you actually order it. The dealer will be able to tell you exactly what you need. You're much better off buying all this from a salvage yard though, it will be much, much cheaper.

You also need to work out the plumbing. I got all my stuff from Pegasus Auto Racing-
I used pre-made hoses available in many different lengths and end configurations- hoses.
I also used some adapters as well- adapter.
The Neon caliper uses a 7/16" banjo bolt, this is the fitting I used- banjo fitting.

I hope thats what you were looking for. I'll add all this to the semi-How To I write up so it can be searched instead of asked

Friday, July 15, 2005 11:43 AM
cost wise how much did you spend ??

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search