Neon disc swap how to - Page 6 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:32 AM
^ do you have a link?

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 4:35 PM
Pushrods & Nitrous! wrote:^ do you have a link?

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=95820&t=95820

Thursday, September 22, 2005 12:59 PM
Ok I have picked up my set of rear disk brakes!!
and now i have to take them to the machine shop but i have one question, What is the diameter of the hub hole need to be machined to to fit the cav?

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:07 PM
See page 3 for all the dimensions needed.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:50 PM
I have looked at them and I can't dertermine the size of the hub hole, Unless you labled that 2.40" to be the radius?

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:11 PM
2.40" is the diameter. The label comes from my days as a mechanical draftsman, so its kind of old school.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 9:42 PM
Shamless Bump

Sunday, October 09, 2005 1:07 PM
Pushrods & Nitrous! wrote:For you that have brake drag, CONSIDER THIS!:
Our cars come stock with rear drum brakes as every one knows, BUT what everyone does not know is that for a drum brake wheel cylinder to function normally, it requires a constant 8 - 15 PSI. This is caused by a Residual Pressure Valve built into the master cylinder. This will cause a disc brake to drag if it over comes the square-cut-seal inside of the caliper, which doesn't take much pressure. To eliminate this problem you WILL have to swap in a different master cylinder, OR your rear brakes will wear out prematurely. I have already been looking into this and believe that the Master cylinder from a Grand AM with rear disc Might bolt right up, But I have yet to confirm this. I will try to find this out for sure and I will make sure to give an update.

I have no idea where you got this info but it is not true for the Jbody, we have self adjusting rear drums, they don't need any residual pressure. Not to mention 8-15psi in a brake system is like dropping a tear into the ocean.. the brake system runs in the 600-1200psi range.
If you want to compare then just look at the master cylinder in an older lumina with rear disks, then look at the master cylinder in the same year of jbody, they are the same GM part #.

Sunday, October 09, 2005 3:26 PM
pezed wrote:
Pushrods & Nitrous! wrote:For you that have brake drag, CONSIDER THIS!:
Our cars come stock with rear drum brakes as every one knows, BUT what everyone does not know is that for a drum brake wheel cylinder to function normally, it requires a constant 8 - 15 PSI. This is caused by a Residual Pressure Valve built into the master cylinder. This will cause a disc brake to drag if it over comes the square-cut-seal inside of the caliper, which doesn't take much pressure. To eliminate this problem you WILL have to swap in a different master cylinder, OR your rear brakes will wear out prematurely. I have already been looking into this and believe that the Master cylinder from a Grand AM with rear disc Might bolt right up, But I have yet to confirm this. I will try to find this out for sure and I will make sure to give an update.

I have no idea where you got this info but it is not true for the Jbody, we have self adjusting rear drums, they don't need any residual pressure. Not to mention 8-15psi in a brake system is like dropping a tear into the ocean.. the brake system runs in the 600-1200psi range.
If you want to compare then just look at the master cylinder in an older lumina with rear disks, then look at the master cylinder in the same year of jbody, they are the same GM part #.

VERY INTERESTING FIND! !!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, October 10, 2005 10:38 PM
as anybody got this swap write up for a 3rd gen done yet if so can somebody please email it to me at xtremepcconcepts@gmail.com Thanks Tim.
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:13 PM
Xtreme96Sunfire wrote:as anybody got this swap write up for a 3rd gen done yet if so can somebody please email it to me at xtremepcconcepts@gmail.com Thanks Tim.

There is a thread in this forum about it already, and its been mentioned quite a few times in this thread that its no different for a 3rd gen.

Friday, October 14, 2005 6:14 AM
if i only had the cash.....

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:32 PM
by the way..... i was at the dodge dealer, and to get evrythimng you would need to get rear disks off a 2005 SRT4, except for the rotors, pads, and the machining, it would only run you at 750 FROM THE DEALER!!!!!
i managed to steal the part numbers so if NE1 wants new brakets and calipers to work with, theres an option...
If NE1 needs to know those parrt # let me know

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Thursday, October 20, 2005 1:52 AM
the bracket from an SRT 4 wont work you need the bracket from the older neons 96-02

The only thing in common with the SRT4 is the rotor and caliper. 750 is an absolute waste for that you could get baer rear discs.

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'
Thursday, October 20, 2005 3:57 PM
how much are you guys paying for these parts at the junk yards? j/c so i would have an idea when i go. i found 2 neon sports in a yard locally so im going to pick up the rear setups friday.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
do you ever notice that the ones who talk the loudest have the least to talk about?
Thursday, October 20, 2005 5:17 PM
i got mine for $10 both sides, just talk them down. it also depends on the yard you go to sometimes they will take the calipers off and core them out but thats what a lot of yards do around here in ohio.
Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:31 PM
I got a whole wheelbarrow full of stuff for $50, so maybe $25 for everything, and I used the yard calipers for cores.

Friday, October 21, 2005 1:08 PM
does it still have to be a neon sport or will any of the newer neons work.

Friday, October 21, 2005 4:11 PM
Shaune Drake wrote:does it still have to be a neon sport or will any of the newer neons work.

Thats been answered several times.

Monday, October 24, 2005 1:29 PM
I'm currently in process of this swap on a '00 caviZ24.
I went to my junk yard the other day and found around 10-15 sets of these brackets. I was wondering if anybody would be interested in purchasing any. This yard isn't cheap by any means however. They want $165.00 for both sides, this include the bracket, caliper, ebrake cable, dustguard, and ebrake internals.

Just an option for those who don't have any around them.
I can also do the machining if your interested for a little fee, but I could save you some on the shop prices.
I'm machining mine at my work currently during lunches and stuff and getting pretty good.

Email: josh@joshandcrystal.com
-Let me know and then I will go down and pull them off.

Someone keep that talk of the "requiring a new master cylinder to work with rear disc brakes due to brake drag" going.

Has anybody noticed any barke drag?

Thanks,
-Josh
Monday, October 24, 2005 2:31 PM
Wow! $165 is highway robbery, except the cars aren't on the highway.....

I haven't noticed any drag, but I'm not using the J body MC either.

Monday, October 24, 2005 2:57 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:I'm currently in process of this swap on a '00 caviZ24.
I went to my junk yard the other day and found around 10-15 sets of these brackets. I was wondering if anybody would be interested in purchasing any. This yard isn't cheap by any means however. They want $165.00 for both sides, this include the bracket, caliper, ebrake cable, dustguard, and ebrake internals.

WOW! That's a rip off! I saw a set of these go on ebay with brand new discs, pads and rebuilt calipers go for that price.

Jay

Sunday, November 20, 2005 8:29 PM
Hey, Update on the brake drag. I grabbed some pressure gauges and found we do indeed have 10psi residual valves in our Gen 3's , don't know about Gen 2's tho. I went to some local speed shops and they said just like (Pushrods & Nitrous!), 2psi for disc and 10psi for drum. Anyway, I found those damn residual pressure valves......there hiding along the hard bend line just below the drivers side rear bench seat. The interesting thing about this is even if you change the MC you will still have the 10psi in the back since this valve has nothing to do with MC. I've been doing alot of sleuthing around asking questions at speed shops around here and they all said the residual valves can't be run in the MC. Actualy, many cars don't have residual pressure valves and there are only needed for performance brake applications to keep the fluid from rushing back to the MC during decompression.....so I was surprized when I found them on my cavi. I installed the neon calipers and brought them up to pressure while off the car...( a piece of wood substituted for the pads and rotor)....when I let off the brake and removed the wood, much to my surprize the caliper piston was sliding out surprizingly fast. Almost too much to hold back by hand...proved that without replacing the valves, brake drag would be certain. Not much given the emense pressure required to stop, but drag none-the-less.
Anyway, I bought some Disc brake 2psi valves and replaced them and all is good, no slide on the repeat test.

Cahill....check for the valves
Sunday, November 20, 2005 8:36 PM
Just a little added info.....my first test where the caliper piston slid out was with the stock residual pressure valves installed. The second was with aftermarket 2psi valves.

Also....I can take pictures of the them if someone needs to see it. They look like little metal cylinders,...definetly larger than the hard bent line, and they were "in-line" and not harnessed, just sitting inline with the hard bent line. Which brings up the point that they could be located anywhere on a Gen2 as these valves don't require any harnesses or anything. On my setup I just removed all the line upto the stock valves and got 48" SS line and 2psi valves and just ran SS line all the way upto the caliper.
Sunday, November 20, 2005 8:57 PM
WOW bro crazy PROPS to you.

a long time ago weasel and a few others were trying to figure out if those things indeed were valves, but no one had the time nor courage to start hackin stuff up to find out. it was a good guesstimate though that thats what they were.

thats awesome man, and im glad someone had the balls to do it, i now have respect for you (except that you're still a noob lol)

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search