Problem with baer rotors - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problem with baer rotors
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:26 PM
So I have had my baer drilled and slotted plated rotors for about a year now, and just recently my pedal started to pulse when I step on it. I think they are warped, and I just looked at them tonight, and there are tiny cracks on them by the holes. I know I properly broke them in so I don't think that is the problem, but should these rotors be going bad after only one year? I am using EBC green stuff brake pads, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help.

Re: Problem with baer rotors
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:38 PM
Some people say that over torquing your lug nuts can warp a rotor. If you used an impact wrench that may have been an issue.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:01 PM
No I have never used a impact wrench on my car, and it's only been in a shop once, and I hope they know not to use an impact wrench on non steel rims. Could anybody help me out with the cracks? I know they are not suppose to be there.

Thanks again
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:53 PM
Heat cracking. That's what it's from, heat, and lots of it. It happens.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:57 PM
Your rotors are warped, depending on your wheel tire combination and your braking habits, the rotors could easily warp in a year. As previously mentioned, improper wheel nut torque can also warp a rotor. As for the cracks, this is a NORMAL condition with drilled rotors, as long as the cracks are less than an inch long and don't extend to the outer edge of the rotor or from one hole to another, they should be fine. You may be able to machine yor rotors, depending on wear, but they are harder to machine with the drilled holes(harder on brake lathe bits). Hope this ansewrs your question.
Friday, August 01, 2008 12:24 PM
Get slotted ones instead.

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red
Saturday, August 02, 2008 7:09 AM
framescraper wrote:Your rotors are warped, depending on your wheel tire combination and your braking habits, the rotors could easily warp in a year. As previously mentioned, improper wheel nut torque can also warp a rotor. As for the cracks, this is a NORMAL condition with drilled rotors, as long as the cracks are less than an inch long and don't extend to the outer edge of the rotor or from one hole to another, they should be fine. You may be able to machine yor rotors, depending on wear, but they are harder to machine with the drilled holes(harder on brake lathe bits). Hope this ansewrs your question.

That sums it up well

You can machine the rotors, but a lot of places dont want to because it does eat bits up a little bit.

The cracks are normal for drilled rotors, and are no reason for concern unless they are excessive cracks.

But warping a rotor in a year is not uncommon or odd at all. I dont know what your rear setup is, but if you still have the drums on the back, make sure they are adjusted properly or they will make the fronts work even harder, and cause the rotors to get hot faster.....causing the same things you are seeing sooner than normal.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:45 PM
i've replaced mr baer decela rotors twice in 18 months....from excessive heat cracks....it's called hard braking at high speeds tends to make things get really hot...if you keep buying cross-drilled you'll have this problem, another answer that i hope to get one day is a big brake upgrade...should solve all your problems.

"If you have no clue what's going on... STFU!"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search