Does anyone know where i can get a good big brake kit for a good price at - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Does anyone know where i can get a good big brake kit for a good price at
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:30 AM
I have a 2004 cavi sport coupe and I seem to have a big problem with my stock rotors warping from too much heating and cool too quickly or something all i know to do i get a big brake kit. The only big brake kits i can find seem to be very expenseive and out of my price rang at the time. Does anyone know of a cheep and good way to fix this.

Re: Does anyone know where i can get a good big brake kit for a good price at
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:53 AM
first off, rotors dont warp.... second, u can solve the issue of the uneven pad wear on the rotor by getting some hawk carbon metallic brake pads for just under 100 bucks shipped. I got em from the GP on here a while ago and my rotors havent had issues since. If you must have a big brake kit, got through the OEM wilwood kit http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:35 AM
I don't know what the @!#$ you're smoking, but it surely isn't a pipe full car knowledge.

You don't have to be so damned literal.

What he's experiencing is mismatched or misaligned lateral surfaces. In the biz this is called a warped rotor. I don't really care what forum you read on that warped rotors are a myth, but they aren't a myth. Especially not on cars with rinkydink braking systems like ours.

N-W-F swap is by far an away the most affordable method of upgrading the size of your front brakes. If all you do is buy "special pads" it's just going to happen again.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:57 AM
Im thinking about making a custom relativly cheap big brake kit, just havent found the funding to get it up and running.
I have a complete extra front spindle that I need to hack up to mock out the bracket.
I was thinking either wrx or sti rotors and calipers with a custom caliper mounting bracket, since the rotors are already 5 x 100 with a very close offset.
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:27 AM
i think u'd see quite a bit of interest if ya did that

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:36 AM
Well I know that, and I could make the "kit" very cheap
All i would need to make would be the adapter brackets, and some instruction.
Then tell you the year, make and model, of the rotors and calipers.
We all know the knuckle needs to be modified, but other than that, the STI rotor is almost 13"
and it uses brembo 6 piston calipers.
All that would be needed in addition to the bracket is a spacer, most likely billet aluminum of stainless knowing me!

It would look sick on a cavi

I think I would have to do a WRX not the STI due to the expense of the parts.
WRX is much cheaper than STI parts!

00 Cavalier rotor

# of Bolt Holes : 5
Bolt Circle Diameter : 100 mm
Brake Rotor Diameter : 10.2"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : .74"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : .8"
Center Hole Diameter : 2.30"
Height : 1.89"
Maximum Lateral Runout : .002"

04 WRX rotor

Brake Rotor Diameter : 11.54"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : .87"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : .95"
Center Hole Diameter : 2.29"
Height : 2.23"

04 STI rotor

Brake Rotor Diameter : 12.83"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.1"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.81"
Height : 2.08"
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:48 AM
STI!!!!!!
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:59 AM
Hawk pads and your choice of slotted rotors up front and a neon rear disk swap with upgraded pad/rotor are the best you're going to get without dishing out the cash for big brakes.

219whp - I <3 whine

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:56 PM
Tinkles wrote:Hawk pads and your choice of slotted rotors up front and a neon rear disk swap with upgraded pad/rotor are the best you're going to get without dishing out the cash for big brakes.

I already have that setup ..... Hawk XPS front pads with brembo dilled sport rotors, and neon rear disk with stillen drilled rotors and hawk XPS pads as well.

Just getting bored and want to make something else different for the J!
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:10 PM
Lol... My post was on topic and directed to the OP.

Honestly i dont think the big brake prices are that bad.

219whp - I <3 whine

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 3:16 PM
If you do it right, I bet you can do the N-W-F swap for $300 - 400. I pretty much dare a pre-made kit to touch that and have the same amount of reliability.

Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:45 PM
You wont get a BBK for cheap unless someone sells theirs, I picked up my Baer's for $500... but they sure don't come up in the classifieds often. Your best bet is what others are saying the NWF is the kit you want.

Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:55 PM
Quote:

04 STI rotor

Brake Rotor Diameter : 12.83"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.1"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.81"
Height : 2.08"
Christ, is that correct, or a type-o?
That's a hell of a rotor for a car. What's the weight on those things?

Friday, January 08, 2010 4:55 PM
i ended up just buying a set of bear cross drilled and sloted rotors (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BHI-05580-020/) and a set of Hawk performance HPS pads http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB390F-602/)

Friday, January 08, 2010 5:00 PM
To the Op, if you just get a decent set of stock sized rotors which would be performance rotors, (baers come to mine along with the PowerSlot rotors) then you'd need some good pads to along with the new rotors.
Pads can be whatever you choose from the EBC series in Red or Yellow or the Hawk pads too. I used the Bendix Titanium rotors with excellent results so that's another option too.

Then for the final piece you'll be needing is some stainless steel brake lines which RKSport and Goodridge has some nice lines that will fit perfectly for our cars.

I did the above and went from having a braking system (stock) that would fade to no end and there were several times that they failed completely because they sucked terribly.
Once I got the new setup like I mentioned above, the brakes were phenominal. I NEVER had fade issues and the car stopped on a dime when needed for those occasional emergency stops.

So what I'm trying to say is that you really don't need a big brake kit but to better what you already have for your car.
This would prove cheaper and give you enough change to get new drums, new shoes, and mounting hardware for the rears.
I drove this setup for a few years with excellent results and going to the drag strip along with driving the car hard like I do, never, ever had an issue with warping the rotors or brake fade.

Hope this helps and if you do decide on the big brake kit anyway, your stopping power will be before the dime and not on the dime.
Check with Karo at CarCustoms.net for some good pricing on the Wilwood setup.
Excellent pricing on these and that is what I now have on my car.
I also did some serious research on all the big brake kits from the Wilwoods, SSBC, and the Baers. Wilwoods were the best for the money and offered the best braking platform bar non for the money.

And Phil, although your idea is a good one, the cost of the STi parts would be way more expensive to get because of the quality of the brakes that Subaru uses. Plus, getting those parts from the junkyard will be impossible because when have you ever seen an STi in the junkyard?
Just sayin but good luck with your project though. I'm always amazed with the work you do.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, January 08, 2010 5:19 PM
i just got my SSbc for a beautiful price.. lol. but wasbt there a REd vert with Wrx disk brakes? someone posted it and said the guy didnt want to say what he did. it was a z24 vert with 20s and a kit . been trying to look for that post but no luck

Saturday, January 09, 2010 5:06 PM
does anybody know if the N/W/F brakes fit behind stock 14" steelies?

nevermind, forgot you can't use the stock wheels with the swap, different bolt pattern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, January 09, 2010 5:09 PM

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, January 09, 2010 5:13 PM
The NFW set barely clears 16s. I have a pair of Impala 16" steelies, and there isn't much room at all around the caliper.

Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:47 AM
the straight N-BODY brakes clear 15" rims. they have to, grand am's and alero's came with 15's on some models.

Trailer Queen corvette wanna-be with 40 coats of wax and powdercoating that soaks in.
Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:43 AM
Brembo slotted rotors/hawk pads/stainless steal brake lines. Keep the drums on back but replace them with new parts.

Cheap and effective. I did this on my car last spring and my stopping power is great, never thouight twice about needing a diff setup.

I'd stay away from cross drilled rotors though...
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/92039-cross-drilled-rotor-myths-dissolved.html
Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:08 PM
Never had a problem with my cheap crossdrilled Rotec rotors.
As long as you replace them before they go bad, you're good to go.
Most don't do this and then complain that they're cheap or not made right.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search