ebrake handle - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ebrake handle
Saturday, December 11, 2010 10:44 PM
Hey guys, first post here.. I bought a 98 z24 about 2 weeks ago and i've just been putting parts in it week by week, got everything done, except for my e brake handle, it dosnt lock in, so i figured I'd buy a new handle and put it on, the one i bought, the guy cut the cord right at where it ratchets in and locks, and i can't figure out how to get the old cable out so i can put my cable in, my e brake isn't seized either.

Re: ebrake handle
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:35 PM
noone??? or am i in the wrong place?
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:44 PM
if your cable has been cut i believe it will need to be replaced. unless im mistaken you will need to replaced the whole cable from the handle back to the rear axle. youll need to disconnect the cable at the rear axle and pull it through the floor pan, i believe it goes under the car in the back seat/floor area, youll probably need to pull most of the carpet up for this.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:44 AM
This is correct. Just went through this pain not too long ago. The ebrake cable runs from the handle to the driver's rear floor pan. From there it routes to the driver's rear drum brake assembly. You can just replace this one cable or replace the additional "y" cable that runs along the rear torsion beam to the passenger's rear drum assembly.

When I replaced my ebrake handle, I used a pair of locking pliers to hold the cable tension wheel in place. This allowed me to unbolt the entire assy in place and then remove the cable. If you do not lock the handle, it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the handle to auto readjust the tension on your ebake cable. I ended up buying 2 'cause the first one wouldn't readjust.

Just my .02
Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:09 AM
Metalball wrote:If you do not lock the handle, it is EXTREMELY difficult to get the handle to auto readjust the tension on your ebake cable. I ended up buying 2 'cause the first one wouldn't readjust.

Actually, it's really easy to do. Just pull the end of the cable on the rear axle until the adjustment pawl in the ebrake handle clicks. Very simple.

To the OP.. removing the old cut-off cable shouldn't be too hard.. rotate the wheel where the cable slots into (on the replacement ebrake handle) and pull out the old cable end. Once you click the handle down into the released position, the ratchet mechanism should release the wheel in order to rotate it. Getting the cable on your car into the replacement handle will be a pain unless you relieve the tension on the brake end. Since you probably don't want to go to that much work... I've found using a pair of vice-grip pliers to hold the wheel in place while you grab the end of the cable with some pliers, then force it into that little track on the side of the wheel (You'll see what I'm talking about when you try it). Make sure you don't chew up the plastic sleeve around the cable though.. if that gets badly damaged, it can bind on the wheel and your ebrake won't release properly.

I've changed a few in my time... though it's been a few years, I remember what a pain in the arse it was!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search