which brake rotors and pads? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
which brake rotors and pads?
Friday, July 22, 2005 1:59 PM
well i need some new rotors, mine are warped. So i'm just looking for opinions. baere, powerslot, etc... ect... i'm looking for stock replacements, not a big brake kit. Also, i am looking to get new pads, considering they have been rubbing on a warped rotor. looking for some low dust ones. opinions/suggestions would be great. thanks

Re: which brake rotors and pads?
Friday, July 22, 2005 2:10 PM
Here's my recomendation:

Get two of these: Brembo OEM rotors

And a set of these: AXXIS Metal Master Pads

Saturday, July 23, 2005 4:26 AM
any particular reason?

not slotted or cross drilled?
Saturday, July 23, 2005 10:45 PM
I got the Brembo OEM style rotors too. Someone, possibly Zach, recommended them and I wasn't looking for anything slotted or drilled. They were pretty cheap at about $30 each from NOPI with coupon and I trust Brembo's quality. I also bought Axxis pads but they were the performance kevlar/ceramic set that NOPI sells. Everything fit perfectly and my car stops like a gem but there's a lot of dust which is really annoying. I wish you could leave reviews on NOPI's site. Hope this helps.
Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:51 AM
Check out the Powerslot rotors & Bendex pads.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:13 AM
Powerslot rotors, NOT cross drilled, And Hawk Performance pads.

Gravanna Sells the combo.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true."
Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:25 AM
arent the brembo rotors exactly the same as the stock? (material wise)

wont they warp just as easily?
Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:24 PM
Yeah i want that answered to. After 15k on my 2004 i have warped rotors and would like to stay stock but not as easily warped.

I don't need no stinking SIG. Wait this is one.
DOH!
Sunday, July 24, 2005 6:57 PM
anyone?
Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:39 PM
Nate wrote:anyone?

Most aftermarket rotors are made of different materials than stock rotors so they can look pretty and also be stronger. Remember, they have to engineer rotors that will have cross drilled holes in them and/or to be slotted, so they probably wouldn't use the same materials as a stock car (atleast materials from a J car rotor).

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:47 PM
Nate wrote:arent the brembo rotors exactly the same as the stock? (material wise)

no!and nope!

see ya!

Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:48 PM
Did you bed your rotors??
How to bed

As for the material question. Yes, it's cast iron. No, it's not the same.
Don't get confused, but the way you make a part out of a material makes a huge difference in strength. annealing, forging, milling, many things can vastly change the quality/strength of two products made of the exact same material.

Monday, July 25, 2005 5:42 AM
I suggested the brembo OEM's because they are half the price of powerslots. I'm not convinced that slotted rotors do much under dry braking (other than eat up your pads quicker).

My brembo's have held up well under pleanty of autocrossing and 80-20mph slow downs.

I suggested the metal masters because they are good pads that won't dust too much (unlike the Axxis Ultimates).

Monday, July 25, 2005 5:44 AM
Nate wrote:arent the brembo rotors exactly the same as the stock? (material wise)

The brembos are an OEM fit.

Material wise, they use a higher quality of cast iron than those cheap chinease rotors you get at the parts store. Thus, the heat transfer is the same across the entire surface and you don't get any "warping".

Monday, July 25, 2005 1:56 PM
hey zach, the links you gave me at the top...is that the price for one rotor or both, it doesnt really say on their site...commen sense tells me its just one, but just checking
Monday, July 25, 2005 3:19 PM
Yeah, its just one.

Monday, July 25, 2005 5:41 PM
i'll be ordering them on friday, it'll let you all know how it goes
thanks for the help
Monday, July 25, 2005 5:49 PM
My order went well. It only took like 3 days from the day I ordered for the stuff to get here.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 1:48 PM
Hi all, I'm Jung and this is my first post. I've changed the brake pads before, took an hour because I didn't know what I was doing but I got it down to 30 minutes the second time. I need new rotors now and the recommendations here sound alright. How tough is changing rotors compared to changing pads?
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 2:06 PM
If you changed your pads, you can DEFINATELY change your rotors.

Pull the brake caliper off and then the rotor just comes right off. Clean your new rotors with some brake clean and put them on over the lugs. Be sure to bed your new brakes in properly.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 3:21 PM
Baer OEM replacement are very good. We have sold a lot and never heard a bad comment about them, unlike some others. Let us know if you have any questions.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search