2.2 OHV Timing Chain - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 OHV Timing Chain
Sunday, November 08, 2009 10:22 PM
So, I know A guy and he brought (towed) me his 98 Sunfire because it quit running. And..... yeah, its snapped the timing chain. Just wondering, is the 2.2 OHV engine an interference engine???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Re: 2.2 OHV Timing Chain
Monday, November 09, 2009 8:16 AM
I do not believe that it is.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, November 09, 2009 9:01 AM
IIRC it is NOT an interference engine. . .

Monday, November 09, 2009 3:08 PM
nope its not, it should be fine

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:24 PM
For future reference, it is NOT an interference engine. Put a new chain, tensioner and lower gasket set on it, runs great, and no more of the typical 2.2 rattle!!!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:10 PM
when do they recommend changing that and about how much should it cost?

Friday, November 13, 2009 3:01 AM
Probably depends. My 2.2 got a timing chain at somewhere just over 60,000 miles. At the point that it got changed it sounded like a diesel, because the tensioner was bad.

Not sure if there's a set time you should change it. I know there's probably a ton of guys on here with tons of miles that's never had one changed.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, November 13, 2009 4:03 AM
i currently have 136k and dont remember having it changed..... not saying that it hasnt been done before, just dont remember... need to look into that i guess

Friday, November 13, 2009 8:04 AM
mine hasn't been changed yet, but I'm going to do it as soon as I A) get a garage, and B) when I pull the engine for the build. . . unless I get a donor block, then I'm not going to bother with the chain.

Friday, November 13, 2009 11:39 AM
i have 172000 on my engine, still original chain, no issues so far.
Friday, November 13, 2009 8:42 PM
Mine went to 164k before it broke. No bent valves. Changed it again at 197k when I rebuilt the motor. Will change it again shortly whenever I get around to changing the cam and head (going on five months!)

Saturday, November 14, 2009 10:46 AM
depends really don't change it unless you have an issue some times the chain is worn to the crank and cam sproket and changing it just cause can cause more issues

when i rubuilt a 2.2 i reused the crank and cam was just a refresh rebuild but i changed the chain, both sprockets and the guides and tensioner for best results i would do that but depends on milage to i guess the block i had, had 275 000km on it

changing the chain can get the rattle to go away but keep in mind the 2.2 always as a slight tick or rattle to it so don't go changing it to think your getting rid of that noise cause you may be very surprised

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:04 AM
hey i know its an old thread but was hoping to get a response. sounds like you guys know what your talking about so figured id give it a shot. i just bought a 96 cavi 2.2 ohv 207000 miles the chain and hardware was changed at 199k so its not that old. and it makes a rattle its deinetly in the timing chain area. i have checked every thing every way you can think of so im sure. doesnt always do it when you first start it but once it warms up it always does it. cold start it will usually do it when its cold out but when its warm out and you start it cold it doesnt do it. thats not 100% of the time but probably 85-90% . my mechanic who is also a personal friend says that its no big deal and its common says its the tensioner its weak and said it can do what its doing forever. i know the guy changed it as well. i guess what my question is . is why would new parts do that so quickly and what you think about it lasting like that. thanks.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:43 PM
You need a new tensioner more than likely my car has the same exact issue. Do you know what you are idling at?

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:13 PM
i dont have a tach so i cant say exactly but it sounds like its perfect probably 750 or so. how long you think it can make noise like that? i was told its fine and will be for a long time and if it was something to really worry about it would be very loud and awful sounding.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:20 PM
i mean since its non interference you should be fine, but you probably are not idling right and losing HP/MPG

And if your chain jumps a tooth youre going to lose more power, its cheaper to replace the tensioner than the chain, I would fix it, its an easy job on the motor you have.

Someone correct all my info if im wrong

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:36 PM
well hmmm. i get about 28 mpg city and about 34hwy. thats good right? my buddy has a98 sunfire 2200 and it idles the same rpm his does and is probably even smoother running. thats what doesnt make sense i dont think there is any ill effects except the sound. and it does it more when engine is warm sometimes doent do it when the engine is cold. does any of that make make sense?
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:58 AM
yeah, this means more than likely you have not jumped a tooth, mine was fine for a while until I decided to floor the car one night and I jumped timing.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:39 AM
well it only usually does it engine is warm, cold it doesnt do it usually. i floor it alot and it doesnt act up. i dont understand the warm cold thing. if it was the feet of the tensioner it would do it all the time so idl doesnt make sense to me.
Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:17 AM
The tensioner is plastic. The problem is that the hot oil warps them, thus making you lose tension. When mine was bad, it would constantly make noise. As far as how long it will go making that noise... there's really no way to tell.

When mine was changed, they changed the chain, gears, cover, and oil.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:50 AM
i wonder if thats what mine did because it isnt that old. but it doesnt make noise when engine is cold...usually .

Monday, April 04, 2011 11:54 PM
I can tell you first hand that the 2.2 OHV is an interference engine. Mine threw the change and I pulled out valves that looked like question marks. It's true, oh it's true.
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:56 PM
Chris Fields wrote:I can tell you first hand that the 2.2 OHV is an interference engine. Mine threw the change and I pulled out valves that looked like question marks. It's true, oh it's true.

...in a stock 2.2 you are kinda wrong. it actually has a good bit of clearance. did your pistons have a lot of carbon on them by any chance?
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:13 PM
ive heard it was interference and that its not i dont know which is true. i know a gm service advisor said that if the chain broke it would bend the valves but they arent mechanics so i dont know. i would like some solid proof one way or the other so i know though.
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:30 PM
97 and lower LN2's are interference. 98 to 2002 (2200) LN2's are non-interference. You my friend have an interference engine.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search