Cobalt SS engine swap to a 03 cavy? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS engine swap to a 03 cavy?
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:57 PM
Im lookin at doing a engine swap i found a 06 cobalt ss engine and want to swap it in to my 03 cavalier. Is this a direct fit or will i need to do any modifications? Both are coming off a 5 speed

Re: Cobalt SS engine swap to a 03 cavy?
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:18 PM
modifications are required. ECU, radiator support just to name a few

Danny
2004 Sunburst Orange Cavalier
check it out here @ www.cardomain.com/id/orange04cavy
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:22 PM
Doh.

This again?

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:00 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:Doh.

This again?

Search much?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:32 AM
wish I could help.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:07 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:wish I could help.

Seriously.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=411449&t=411449

Yes, the S/C parts will bolt right onto your 2.2L eco. All the info you need to do it is posted and can be found by a simple search. Myself and others have done the S/C swap on our 2.2L ecos.

219whp - I <3 whine

Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:22 PM
I took it the posted wants to take a Cobalt SS/SC motor (with the supercharger) in his 03 cavy. This would require alot of work to do. If you want to take just the supercharger and put it on your current motor this is much easier and plenty of info on it.

FU Tuning

Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:13 PM
You need to learn a little bit about the Eco series engines before you can offer anything useful to this question.

Friday, January 08, 2010 2:58 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:
You need to learn a little bit about the Eco series engines before you can offer anything useful to this question.

Man, that guy pisses me off.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:53 AM
ChevyBoi89 Online
...i thought anything 2006 or older was swappable?

and the 07 and newers had totally diff computers and things with would make it a pain in th ass
...but i also thought someone sucessfully swapped an 07 into there cav too..maybe not

Friday, February 05, 2010 5:14 AM

Friday, February 05, 2010 6:01 AM
ChevyBoi89 wrote:...i thought anything 2006 or older was swappable?

and the 07 and newers had totally diff computers and things with would make it a pain in th ass
...but i also thought someone sucessfully swapped an 07 into there cav too..maybe not

Delta to J is different in every way. The only thing remotely the same is the block.

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:35 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:

Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:45 PM
orange04cavy wrote:modifications are required. ECU, radiator support just to name a few

I'm pretty sure this is the second time you've posted this.. the radiator support does not need to be changed, but the radiator does (if swapping an ecotec into a non-eco car).

ecotecs from 06+ have the 60-2 trigger wheel on the crankshaft, and will not work with the 2000-2005 cavalier electronics. It cannot be swapped.
you can use an external trigger mounted on the crankshaft pulley, but there are no "kits" available yet.

you cannot swap the cobalt electronics in unless you rewire from bumper to bumper, nothing is compatible. the older systems are class 2 serial, the newer are high speed class 3 I believe its called.

to the OP; the short answer is no.

unless you have an intimate knowledge of the ecotec engines, this swap cannot be accomplished.
it is not a plug and play affair, and most methods of doing it successfully means your car will no longer be emissions legal.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:41 PM
Last I knew it was called CANbus and not class 3. It has been a few years though. I miss all the info I had easy access to in the dealer, and being able to update my Tech II at will.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:14 PM
I mean the communication between the PCM/BCM/gauge cluster is referred to as high speed class 3 serial or high speed class 2.. idk... I forget and I'm not renewing my cobalt alldata to look

the emissions is CANbus now, older stuff was OBD2.

i'm sure it all ties in together... the bottom line is they aren't compatible.

wanting to buy a 6+1 trigger wheel 03 cavalier
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:32 PM
anyone please give me advice where to purchase this trigger wheel

I would like to buy a 6+1 trigger wheel for the 04 cavalier 2.2 ecotec

Re: wanting to buy a 6+1 trigger wheel 03 cavalier
Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:12 PM
you might just be better off buying a salvaged cobalt at a junkyard auction and just transferring everything over to the cavalier. thats what i've been looking into, but then again i have allot of resources to do the swap. in 06 communication was changed to primarily use gm high speed. they still have class2 and gm low speed, but i think they were mostly for the body electrical communications.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search