Climate control lights - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Climate control lights
Monday, December 06, 2010 10:14 PM
On my 2004 cavalier the climate controls do not light up . Before I start pulling the dash apart is there an easier way to fix this ?

Re: Climate control lights
Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:26 AM
not really ,u prettty much have to take it aprt to find the problem. bulbs are probably burnt out if its only the hvac control lighting

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 2:20 PM
what about a fuse...

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 2:33 PM
HVAC bulbs are wired in series. If one is out, they're all out.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, December 07, 2010 2:51 PM
i had the same problem then i was goin through the fuse pane and i changed a few rough fuses and they started working could be a dirty contact
Wednesday, December 08, 2010 9:50 PM
gord currie wrote:i had the same problem then i was goin through the fuse pane and i changed a few rough fuses and they started working could be a dirty contact

Which fuse did you change. I looked in the fuse panel and didn't see just a fuse for the lights in the panel. The panel functions just fine I just need to get the lights to work.
Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:04 AM
SHOoff wrote:HVAC bulbs are wired in series. If one is out, they're all out.

What? Since when?

The bulb is a #74.. and it's a 14 volt bulb. If you put two in series, it would only be half as bright.

Oh, and I've only got one working at the moment...

Thursday, December 09, 2010 1:52 AM
Looking at this, since none of mine work at all. And real way to fix this, or do you have to get a hvac system and splice them in, or something else??

Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:55 PM
Take the dash apart... on a Cavalier... or just take the front piece off, on a Sunfire... take out the two or three 7mm bolts that hold the HVAC panel in place... pull it out... then pull out the two little #74 bulbs that are held in place.. should be two wires (grey and yellow?) going to them. The 95-99 are easier to replace, just twist and pull and remove the bulb from the socket. The 2000+ I've found are harder, the sockets seem to be deeper. Pull the bulb out and put a new one in place. Install, and voila!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:42 PM
John Lenko wrote:Take the dash apart... on a Cavalier... or just take the front piece off, on a Sunfire... take out the two or three 7mm bolts that hold the HVAC panel in place... pull it out... then pull out the two little #74 bulbs that are held in place.. should be two wires (grey and yellow?) going to them. The 95-99 are easier to replace, just twist and pull and remove the bulb from the socket. The 2000+ I've found are harder, the sockets seem to be deeper. Pull the bulb out and put a new one in place. Install, and voila!

Yeah they are for some reason. I tried to remove the bulbs from a old hvac part I bought bc I was using it for parts, and the damn thing broke. So I said the hell with it, and just put it back together and called it a day. Is there anything we can do to put diffrent ones in there or no?

Thursday, November 07, 2013 12:17 AM
Yes the bulbs are a major pain to replace.. Just did mine tonight. 2001 Cavalier, may as well break the bulbs and use tweezers to grasp the bulb filament and yank hard...put new bulb (#74) in socket and push til you feel a snap or click or else bulb will fall out

Good Luck

Thursday, November 07, 2013 2:42 AM
The bulbs will almost always break trying to get them out. I would suggest going on superbrightleds.com and getting the #74 LED replacements. For one thing, they won't burn out again before the car is dead, plus you can push them in hard without worring about the glass shattering. You get the added benefit of a brighter light, too!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search