gas tanks - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gas tanks
Saturday, May 04, 2013 4:17 PM
I'm trying to find a gas tank for my 04 Cavalier, but it's hard finding a new one besides going to gmpartsdirect. Can I use a pre-03 tank in my car?

www.gmofhouston.com

Re: gas tanks
Saturday, May 04, 2013 5:38 PM
2k up will work. Basically any plastic cavalier or sunfire gas tank.
Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:52 PM
i think junk yards puncture gas tanks so there isn't any gas remaining in the tanks when they store them in the yard (safety hazard)...sort of like removing batteries. if this isn't true and the ones i saw were conincidentally pierced by 'shoppers', there were a ton in my local pick n pull here in San Antonio. as long as your fuel pump assembly is still good, the tanks are straight forward and should be had for cheap. or shop craigslist for parted out cavaliers/sunfires. tons around here

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, May 04, 2013 10:12 PM
I was thinking about that but I guess I just don't trust the ones in the junkyard.

www.gmofhouston.com
Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:15 PM
Its a plastic gas tank....whats not to trust.

If they are not punctured like pick and pull does itll be fine to use a used one and cost you much less.
Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:20 PM
A lot of junkyards drain the tanks so they can use the gas, and sell the tanks.

That would be my first option.

FU Tuning

Sunday, May 05, 2013 7:48 PM
Around here, it depends on the junkyard for what they do to them. One of the yards here (that I hate, btw) uses the stock fuel pump, put 12 volts to it, and pump the fuel out til it's dry. There is still residual fuel in the tank, and if you want the just pump out you have to pull the tank yourself (or pay them $$$ to do it.. as most of the J-body cars are just chucked in the mud). Or get one out of a bigger car that has an access panel...

One other place pulls all the tanks and manually dumps all the fuel.. the tanks are chucked in the back seat or trunk.. so it would be easy to grab a pump or whole tank..

Your wrecking yards may have different policies... best to check. They switched to the plastic tanks for the 2000 model year, but there are a few early 2000's that had the metal tank (same as was used in the 99's, with the charcoal can at the rear of the car). The metal tank is slightly larger..
Saturday, June 01, 2013 4:32 PM
ours around here seem to be drilling them to get the gas out

there are after market companies such a Spectra Premium industries that make aftermarket tanks and rads

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, June 01, 2013 4:38 PM
2000-2005 is the same tank

get one out of a yard, super cheap

if you don't trust fuel pump in the used tank, swap your unit into it when you install it in the car

simple, easy, cheap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search