'03/'05 Trunk & taillight bars - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'03/'05 Trunk & taillight bars
Friday, November 01, 2013 10:42 PM
Couple questions actually, search did not provide a sufficient answer.

First off, how come there are two different style taillight bars on these cars? I used to think that the ones with the silver bar around bow tie were 2003s and early '04s, and the other model vice versa. But I have seen some 2003 sedans with the bow tie only, and a 2005 LS Sport with the silver bar. My '04 LSS had the bow tie, and my current '03 LSS has the silver piece. My only guess is different assembly plants used different bars.

Second, I seen a couple eBay ads with '03/'05 trunk lids without taillight bars. The trunks look pretty much the same as '00/'02 and there is an indent for the reverse light portion. If I removed my taillight bar and filled the holes & repainted, will slapping '00'/02 tails be the last part I would need to do? Or do I have to get a '00/'02 year specific trunk and repaint anyway. The key hole seems to be my only concern.

Here is a current eBay ad of a trunk lid without the bar on it.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Re: '03/'05 Trunk & taillight bars
Saturday, November 02, 2013 3:46 AM
All 95-05 trunks are the same with the holes in the 03-05 models being the only exception. The key holes are the same.

You have 3 options to ditch the 03-05 taillights.

1. WELD the holes shut and repaint a 03-05 trunk.
2. Pick up a 95-02 trunk, repaint it(if it needs it), and toss it on.
3. Pick up a RK Sport 03-05 carbon fiber taillight "garnish". It replaces the light bar and covers up the holes(no welding).

All options use 95-02 taillights, including 95-00 toyota cavalier taillights.

I have a 95-02 carbon fiber trunk on my 03. It bolted right on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 02, 2013 3:48 AM

Saturday, November 02, 2013 2:28 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:All 95-05 trunks are the same with the holes in the 03-05 models being the only exception. The key holes are the same.

You have 3 options to ditch the 03-05 taillights.

1. WELD the holes shut and repaint a 03-05 trunk.
2. Pick up a 95-02 trunk, repaint it(if it needs it), and toss it on.
3. Pick up a RK Sport 03-05 carbon fiber taillight "garnish". It replaces the light bar and covers up the holes(no welding).

All options use 95-02 taillights, including 95-00 toyota cavalier taillights.

I have a 95-02 carbon fiber trunk on my 03. It bolted right on.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I have seen the RK Sport filler panel, but I don't really want the carbon fiber look. I wish they made a cheaper version of those that was primed and ready for paint. I had wondered if it

But I guess that doesn't matter now, after posting this last night, I jumped on eBay and looked for a Z24 trunk, and I was lucky to find a black Z24 trunk with spoiler, lucky big time. A couple months ago I saw a black Z24 with spoiler for $60 more than what I paid last night, waited to buy it later and someone bought it out from me, snooze & lose deal and I was ticked for it. Bought this one without a second though last night. Now I can sell mine, hopefully it wont take long, and break out even.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:09 AM
So there isn't any real answer as to why there is a silver center bar taillight piece and a bow tie taillight piece? Just is what it is?

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:38 AM
My understanding was that 03s got the big silver one and the 04-05s got the little gold bowtie. As to why GM changed it, no clue.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:08 AM
as a notes some have been using the sunfire panel to cover it and painting part of it. not sure i it was of a sedan or coupe but looked pretty clean

Monday, November 25, 2013 4:22 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:My understanding was that 03s got the big silver one and the 04-05s got the little gold bowtie. As to why GM changed it, no clue.

This is correct.

Monday, November 25, 2013 5:28 AM
The reason you see the different tail bars on the "wrong" years is because they're pretty expensive from the dealer so people grab the closest one at the yard when they get broken and either don't notice or don't care.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search