engine swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine swap
Thursday, December 05, 2013 8:15 AM
hi im new to jbo I couldn't find anything on what im asking in the newbie section I have a 95 cavi with a 2.2 liter in it the motor blew I bought a new motor its a 2.2 but it came out of a 2002 cavi ist not a ecotec but the intake manifold is different is there a way where I can make this work

Re: engine swap
Friday, December 06, 2013 5:43 AM
You can make it work, but there are a lot of things that are different between those engines. If you're not familiar with them, I suggest you find yourself a 94-95 2.2 (they are the same engine in the last year of the 2nd gen cars as the first year of the 3rd gen).

The computer systems are different, there is no EGR on the 2002. I know there are other things that physically need to be changed, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Sunday, December 08, 2013 2:47 PM
it can work like shawn said but there are things you need to know but again there all things between both cars you will have

94-95 is a direct swap
96 and 97 had electrontic EGRs and cam position sensor however WHO cares cause your PCM wouldn't know just dont plug in the CPS and swap out the EGR for your Vacuum EGR

98-02 same thing as the 96-97 screw the CPS and swap your EGR over to it however there may be some plugs that need to be changed i'm pretty sure the injector plugs need to be swapped nothing major

someone chime in if the injector impedance is good i know 2.4s changed but think your ok with the 2.2L

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, December 09, 2013 6:37 AM
I'm 99.9% sure that the injectors didn't change to low impedance on the OHV before it was discontinued.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search