auto-manual harness conversion help - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
auto-manual harness conversion help
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:48 PM
I'm converting an automatic L61 harness for use on a manual because that's all I can find locally. I'm 90% sure what I need to, just looking for a second opinion/reassurance.

1. VSS - I'm assuming I just use the 2 way OSS connector from the auto...both are are yellow and purple high and low reference signals, and both feed pins #42 and #62 on the pcm connector, so I'm pretty sure these are the same.

2. Backup lamps - Pretty sure I just pull the pink (ign voltage) and light green (back up lamp supply) from the park/neutral connector and use those

3. Park/nuetral switch - here's where I get confused. This connector has a purple (starter solenoid crank voltage) and purple/white (PNP switch crank voltage) wires, and I'm guessing I need to do something with one or both of those to allow voltage through to the starter. Just can't figure out what...do I link them together as a bypass? Ground one or both? Do I tie it into the clutch pedal switch, and if so, which one...i'd guess the clutch pedal start switch and not the clutch pedal position switch?

Thanks in advance

Re: auto-manual harness conversion help
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:13 PM
I have a bunch of diagrams here, hope these help, the VSS will be fine.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:15 PM
I had an OOPS with the trans connector, here is the missing page

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:57 PM
i just left the auto neutral safety switch plugged in and in the park position and then hard wired the 5speed vss into the auto vss wiring. very easy.

didnt get to the reverse lights before it burned lol

and you NEED to do something about the park/neutral cable switch that runs from the shifter to the column and ultimately hooks up to the key. if you dont have this in the park position or neutral position the car will not start. i basically just took the cable system completely out, and screwed a thick screw into the button setup thingy that the cable was hooked to so it pushed the key trigger in so it thought it was in park, basically.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:16 PM
Cinny, I actually have all those diagrams , lol, have them gm shop books. But thanks!

I should elaborate too...this is already a 5 speed car, so my interior harness/ignition etc is already 5 speed. I just had to grab an auto engine harness to use. So brad, I don't have a switch to the column or anything, just the clutch start and clutch position switches at the pedals....which is why I thought maybe I had to take the crank wires in the park/neutral connector on the new engine harness and run them to the clutch start switch on my pedal...so pushing the pedal should close the loop of those two wires like when an auto is put in park.

I'm sure I can get it with trial and error, lol, I was just hoping to make this a fast drop in and go ordeal so I can get the car back out of my garage.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 7:43 PM
I'm in...the EXACT same position you are. I'm completely at a loss as to how to get this working right, and since it's my DD i can't really have it parked to do the "trial and error" thing. If you figure it out, please let me know. (who knew 5-speed cav harnesses would be so hard to find *sarcasm*)

Sunday, December 08, 2013 2:51 PM
there not hard to find unless your in an area that no one buys 5spds i can walk through our wreckers and find them no problem

the one thats hard to find is a w body 5 spd harness

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, December 09, 2013 8:43 PM
I'm in an area no-one buys 5speed. backwoods TN lol. I figured out the vss problem, got that all sorted out...now time to tackle ABS so these damn gauge lights will go off...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search