Manual to power window - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Manual to power window
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:32 PM
Is this a good kit to buy for a sedan? I really only need the front two windows to be power.

Thanks

http://www.slickcar.com/details/3276-power-window-kits.asp

Little Sedan That Could <3 Forever

Re: Manual to power window
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:39 PM
Not sure if its possible but would using factory power window motors be an option? Buy used sedan doors from junkyard and window switch and swap guts into your door? Not sure if that would work but that would be the first option I'd research. All the wiring will probably have to be custom but at least everything will look stock?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:35 PM
Go the oem route.

Its very easy to drill out the rivets and bolt in the new regulators.
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:40 PM
What Philly D said. That's what I did. Spent $40 on motors from a scrapyard 50% sale. Pocketed the switch and tail end. Ran all my wire. Took awhile to find door panels without the whole in them. But defeniatly worth it
Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:41 AM
Thats the perfect kit!

Skip the OEM route. You don't know the condition of the motors, drilling rivets, figuring out OEM wiring, having to put the switches down in the console.... big pain in the ass.

I have that almost exact kit except I went with different window switches. Plus I got to put the switches where I wanted them. I am also using a spal power lock kit as well and I love that too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:41 AM

Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:12 AM
I guess it's more personal preference but I actually really like having switches in center console. Especially being a standard, I usually have my right hand in that area. Only thing I wish it had would be auto up and down for both Windows. Not sure which way is better or easier to install but I have always liked the OEM look. For wiring, your pulling wires from doors to under dash anyways, what's a few extra wires to the center console to a factory looking switch switch?

To op, looks like you got 2 good options.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:51 AM
Was there a way to put the switches where the hole from the crank was?

BuiltNBoosted wrote:Thats the perfect kit!

Skip the OEM route. You don't know the condition of the motors, drilling rivets, figuring out OEM wiring, having to put the switches down in the console.... big pain in the ass.

I have that almost exact kit except I went with different window switches. Plus I got to put the switches where I wanted them. I am also using a spal power lock kit as well and I love that too!

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:30 AM
Not how I did it. The kit comes with a handle that if your motors ever fail, you are not stuck with your widows down. You have the ability to space the motor in the door but its a ton of work. I left it in case I ever have to manually close them.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:45 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Not how I did it. The kit comes with a handle that if your motors ever fail, you are not stuck with your widows down. You have the ability to space the motor in the door but its a ton of work. I left it in case I ever have to manually close them.

That's a good point. I will not be covering mine up just in case now. Does the cap ever seem to bother you?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:47 AM
Couldn't you also just get a door panel with from a cav with power windows? And just use the door panels and insert the switches there? Or does the crank stick out that much to prevent this?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:21 PM
I believe the crank sticks out too far to use the panels with switches. I guess you could always remove the crank and use them, not sure how it's connected though.
You may have to cut it off.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:42 PM
I dont even notice the cap is there. But it does cover the shaft where the crank handle goes. You have the ability to drill the rivets for the crank and can space it in, but i didn't want to. I figured its easier for me to just leave it like it is.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search