Timing Chain Tensioner????? LD9 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing Chain Tensioner????? LD9
Wednesday, May 21, 2014 4:12 PM
hey guys so im having a little issue with my car.
i have a 98 chevy cavalier z24.
its making this kinda loud clicking noise coming from the timing chain cover. it dosnt make the noise until the car is warmed up.
heres the tricky part. the noise goes away when i turn the steering wheel. and it goes away when the car is moving.
i had a mechanic look at it and he said it could be the timing chain tensioner. since the power steering pump is connected to the cam, when i turn the wheel it gives tension to the chain and thats why it goes away. bu i wanted to see whet you guys think.

Re: Timing Chain Tensioner????? LD9
Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:01 PM
I just changed one in my car that had gone bad. it had no change with the steering like you have described. best chance is to just get in there and check it out. if its bad, hopefully you didn't bend any valves. I got lucky and mine didn't but im sure it was close...

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Re: Timing Chain Tensioner????? LD9
Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:25 PM
the thing is i had swaped it out like 2 months ago and changed the head gasket. bt my uncle didnt tighten the cams right so one cam broke and bent the valves. i had a mechanic change the valves out and it was running fine. but slowly the noise started getting a bit louder. and its only once the car is warm.
do you think it would have anything to do with the guides by any chance?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search