another v6 wiring question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
another v6 wiring question
Saturday, February 08, 2014 8:57 AM
I have beed doing a lot of reading on the v6 swap and I am going to be starting it once it warms up a bit. I have a 97z 5spd. I picked up a complete 3400 from an 02 impala with complete harness and ecu. I have seen people using just the impala wiring and others piggybacking the cav comp. I did as much searching as I could, but all I have available is my smart phone and it is a little difficult to search from it. If anyone has any links to the diagrams or advice on which way would be easiest that would be great.

I have also seen people rewire with a 00+ cav harness and just run all impala that way. I have no problems doing it that way if it would be easier in the long run.

I will be tuning using hpt and hope to get it all done in a month or so start to finish, biggist obstacle will be working 70 hours a week and newborn twins, but im pretty confidant I can do it.

Re: another v6 wiring question
Saturday, February 08, 2014 8:58 AM
Forgot to subscribe.

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:09 AM
I'd recommend rewiring your car for 00+ if you're up to it. If you do that, you can wire up using the Impala flash, remove the auto tranny codes, and everything will work properly.

I'll see if I can locate more of the wiring diagrams that I have and post them up. I keep meaning to go through all of my archives and find the files to add to the sticky, but I have a lot more than are there.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:18 PM
So, what your saying is that I could flash the cav computer with impala tune or does the impala ecm/bcm just take its place?

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:00 AM
lafonjef wrote:So, what your saying is that I could flash the cav computer with impala tune or does the impala ecm/bcm just take its place?
No, not the Cavalier computer. If you get one from an Impala, or Grand Am, or Malibu, etc...any of them with the same part number for the computer itself, you can have it flashed for the Impala program. Then you just have to have the transmission codes and anti-theft system disabled. Obviously, if you can find the right computer form an Impala, it would be cheaper, but if you can't find one, you can look for ones to reflash.

Monday, February 17, 2014 12:29 PM
the j body computer is NFG for any V6 swap just get rid on it send it to the curb on your next garbage day so it wont take up space in the garage for the swap

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, February 17, 2014 12:48 PM
Sounds good. Now to try to find a 00+ cav to steal the wiring from... I am getting the engine, harness and ecm/bcm from a 2002 impala so I should be good on that end of things.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 7:12 PM
other option is flash to 98 monte carlo, no vats. ac works the same way. and use custom gauges.
Friday, July 18, 2014 7:47 AM
So I saw your post in the sticky, and it looks like you decided to piggy back. Where's your build thread?

Definitely curious to see what you ended up doing.

Monday, July 21, 2014 10:06 AM
I dont have a build thread, but here is where it's sitting now..

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:33 AM
Looks good. The drivers side appears to be sitting a little low. How are your transmission mounts looking?

I like the gold. I've been considering doing mine like that, since it would match the car, but I keep going back and forth between that and just bright silver.

Keep the updates coming!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:07 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:Looks good. The drivers side appears to be sitting a little low. How are your transmission mounts looking?

The mounts themselves or the placement of the mounts? I have all solid poly iin tthem so they should be fine.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:32 AM
The mounts aren't adjustable, so I was thinking the rubber, but if you've replaced that with poly, maybe it's just the pic.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:00 PM
Good looking swap so far. I've been itching to get into another 3rd gen so I can swap it, but manual transmission 2.2OHV doesn't seem to be to common around here.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:01 PM
Also, what did you end up doing for the dog mount?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:40 PM
Oedwards wrote:Also, what did you end up doing for the dog mount?

I got one of mr. Quicks proto mounts and modified it to work.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:59 AM
What did you do to it? Did you get all of the holes to fit, or did you cut off one of the arms like I've done to a lot of them?

Monday, July 20, 2015 7:33 PM
BUMP FROM THE DEAD!

Anyway, i had too put the swap on hold very short after the lady update... ...but I'm back now. I had a string of bad luck with lots of little things both with the car and inn life on general.

The motor is about 99% together, short of the intake, exhaust, and connecting the p/s pressure line.

Mr. Quick, i got still the holes to work, just had. to slot 2 of them.

I have the wiring all figured out, just need to get the time to spend a day doing it.

The only thing i have left that i am questioning is the coolant temp sensor. I saw one thread somewhere that the sensor had to be swapped to a 3 wire to get the two computers to read the proper temp. (I decided to go with a piggy backed computer since i had everything already for it.)

If anyone knows of the 2 wire will work our if i need to change it i would appreciate the help.

Monday, July 20, 2015 7:48 PM
I am 99% sure that the 2-wire won't work because it'll throw off the impedance and neither computer will read the correct temperature.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 8:58 PM
Also, if anyone knows where to source the male end of the ground splice pack or of a better way of doing it, the harness i got didn't have the connectors on it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search