97 2.2 cav. NO start? no inj pulse, FP good, and GOOD spark...help please. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 2.2 cav. NO start? no inj pulse, FP good, and GOOD spark...help please.
Wednesday, June 01, 2016 10:32 PM
well guys its been awhile since ive been on this forum, was over in the Pontiac scene love me some modded l67's.. now on to this endeavor. just picked up a 97 cav. a guy was selling because he stated it would not start. he replaced the plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, FP relay, and on the steering column a little black box on the left side attached to the column, wanna say it has something to do with theft system, not too familiar with jbodys...wbodys remember lol.. the gentlemen told me car wont start on its own. he says is he sprays a little ether it fires up then dies. so I have him hook up the battery and turn the key, well I DIDNT HEAR the injectors pulse? they could have and I no paid attention, fuel pump kicks on etc etc. so there is spark check number one... now the fuel pump kicks on but the injectors didn't pulse, heard the relay click but not injectors, and he replaced the little black box on the left side of the steering column idk the name so don't poke fun of the slow guy here lol. and this is gonna be the sad thing, I am a mechanic who owns a shop lol ya I know shade tree lol NOPE... i have all-data and shop-key, and snap on solus edge i think its the edge.. so I dont have the car here until the morning when I pick it up,I paid the guy 250.00 159k very very minimal rust and clear coat peel. and have the title. just needing a general direction here, I know im going to see what is all tied into the injectors pulsing, for some reason im thinking about the oil pressure swtich? sound right? idk.. possibly crank sensor? or ignition control module? under the coils I think?.. ive owned one cavalier back in 2009.. 89 2.2.. never had any issues besides blown head gasket and later on blown engine.. so im not too familiar with the jbodys.. now wbodys.. wooooa weeeee.. lets go try me lol... im sorry I tried searching but must have not been holding my tongue right I guess. didn't yield what I wanted, now granite I probably did something wrong like I usually do. well guys I appreciate the help in advance, I know its bad a mechanic/shop owner is stumped but hey it happens.. its going to be something super super stupidly simple.. but just let me know if im kinda on the right path for the correct things to check out? maybe add to it or debunk some of my assumptions? keep in mind car isn't here yet and I haven't started to diagnosis anything or even hook scanner up yet. thanks guys...sorry for the book btw..

Re: 97 2.2 cav. NO start? no inj pulse, FP good, and GOOD spark...help please.
Thursday, June 02, 2016 11:14 AM
I am digging from memory here - but I think 1997 was the 1st year J-Bodies had Pass-Lock across all models. 1996 was just the Z24 models. So make sure the Pass-Lock icon on the instrument cluster isn't flashing. If it is you'll have to do the Pass-Lock relearn procedure. Basically Pass-Lock shuts down the injectors rendering the vehicle undrivable.

Re: 97 2.2 cav. NO start? no inj pulse, FP good, and GOOD spark...help please.
Thursday, June 02, 2016 2:35 PM
Just got her home, been a nightmare today noting went as planned like usual lol, gonna let it cool down out side and I'll get elbow deep in it. I had a 2000 that had a security issue but dad sold it because I lost my job in high school and couldn't pay the bank note, I'll do some research an see what I can come up with, rust free basically not horrible little paint peel on hood roof and deck lid which is to be expected. What are cave going for now a days?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search