one by one the electrical system is failing - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
one by one the electrical system is failing
Friday, April 14, 2006 11:01 AM
hey all...

well last year my reverse lights stopped working... i was told that i need to replace the switch in the transmission to fix that. but a question... if one reverse light goes the other would still work right?

3 days ago my fogs don't work anymore... the fuse is fine.. the switch on the dash doesn't seem to work. like... the light to she that they are on doesn't go... i haven't checked the bulbs.. but what are the odds of both going out at the same time?

also my alternator (i found out it was a rebuild) can't hold 14V at idle when i have the lights on :S i got the alternator all checked out and it was fine... there was a wire issue but that was replaced... but i still have that problem.

anyone got any ideas?

thanks

Re: one by one the electrical system is failing
Saturday, April 15, 2006 6:41 AM
so right now u have no fogs and 1 revers light?? id look at the switch, the bulbs, and the connections to the fogs first. may need just bulbs.

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:23 AM
i'll check those out for the fogs...

both reverse lights have been out.. i have been told its the reverse switch in the tranny that need to be replaced.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 10:52 AM
i know the problem... fortuneatly, the answer lies on the door of the car... that badge that says SUNFIRE

Saturday, April 15, 2006 1:55 PM
^^^You do realize that your Cavi has the same electrical system as a Sunfire, right?

Saturday, April 15, 2006 2:01 PM
why do threads get like this...

and in addition...

the Pontiac Sunfire is the upscale model to the Cavi.

can we keep this on topic

thanks

Sunday, April 16, 2006 7:54 AM
I have heard of the reverse switch being locted in the tranny. I've never had mine go, but I've readon other posts that's where it's located depending on your model and year of car.

Fogs could be burnt bulbs i'd buy 1 first to see if it will work, it could also be a wiring problem, as i think the BCM controls the fog light switch in the later years. I believe the fog switch on the dash isn't actually a switch, it toggles on and off a signal to the BCM telling it to turn the curcuit on or off. That's how it's be explained to me but i could be wrong.

Ryan1

Monday, April 17, 2006 10:59 AM
If one of your backup lights is not working but the other is, it's the bulb. If both are not working it may be the switch. I had to replace my switch in my '03 Cavi, $18 at Autozone and took a whole 10 minutes. Very very easy and it's on the tranny if it's a manual. If it's an auto, it's in the console. (mine is 5sp) The fog lights, may be a relay. Do you have a milti-meter to see what's going on? Check that the light sockets have 12V when the switch is on. If not look "upstream" next at the relay connector likely in the fuse box area. If the relay has 12V when the dash switch is on and the lights don't work, then it's the relay. If the relay is not powered with 12V when the switch is on, check that the swtich has 12V, both in/out. If the switch has 12V in/out and you have done all the other checks then it's the BCM. Process of elimination.
Don
Monday, April 17, 2006 12:56 PM
hey don

i checked the reverse bulbs today.. they are both fine... so its the swtich for sure.

the fogs i haven't gotten too yet.. but a buddy is going to do exactly what you suggested for the fogs.

i have another onbe for you.. any idea why my abs is glitchy? sometimes the light will come on for no reason... sometimes i can rest the ABS just by pulling the fuse and re-inserting it... but sometimes that doesn't work....

i think i should take her back to the dealership (no warrenty) to get a complete once over :S

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:39 AM
Humm, the ABS i think i'd go to Autozone and see if they can scan it with the scan tool. If the ABS light is coming on, it "sees" something wrong and would store a code that may tell you exactly what it dosen't like. Usually it's the wheel sensor, they bolt to the spindle and sense the "ridges" on the hubs as they rotate. If they see the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) speed, and compare that to the "ridge" counts and they are a mismatch it will think something is wrong and set the ABS light. The sensor is usually what goes, really easy to replace, a couple of bolts and a plug-in. Both Autozone and Advance have them.
My 2 cents worth.
Don
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search