Nitrous thru GM supercharger - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Nitrous thru GM supercharger
Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:53 PM
I'm considering a couple of options for my nitrous install....

1. Sticking with the ZEX wet kit I already own, disassembling the supercharger housing and tapping the case beyond the charger blades (like John 3:17 did)

2. Swapping with a buddy for a ZEX dry kit, running it pre-supercharger... in addition to the alcohol injection (maybe with a TB spacer for ease of install and cleanliness

3. Going direct port, but this is my least desireable option as I don't want to run a large shot... I was thinking 35-50 hp shot max.

Anyone actually running nitrous on the GM supercharger on a regular basis? What kind of fuel upgrades have you done (if any)?? I have an MSD DIS-2, so I can play with the timing retard. One day I'll get the HPT as well... but not this year.

Thanks,

...j

Re: Nitrous thru GM supercharger
Saturday, June 10, 2006 11:43 AM
Sorry man i cant help you on a lot of that stuff.

I would try to go direct port given you can find a zex nozzle that will support it. I think I've seen a post where someone found the nozzle for all the way down to a 35 shot. don't know how true this is but it is worth a shot. Try to contact Zex and see if they can tell you the sizes for a 50 shot. I say try cause they don't like to answer emails too often.

The second thing would be your first option. I don't know his setup well but if it works for him then it might for you.

Then again maybe I'm still a noob and just think I know this stuff...

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Saturday, June 10, 2006 8:21 PM
Don't take my word for it, but I thought I had read somewhere that Nitrous ate into some kind of coating on the blades on the supercharger. Again, I'm not sure, but if it does I think either alchohol or running nitrous after the charger are your only options.

Just something you should look into.... if anybody knows otherwise take their advice.

BTW, I think your car is definately one of the nicest on the site, and did you ever do anykind of 5 speed swap write-up?
Sunday, June 11, 2006 11:58 AM
I think the problem with that lies in the "wet" shot running through the charger. The fuel is what eats the blades. A dry shot would be safe if you feel comfortable to boost fuel elsewhere.

Instead of doing all that work to disassemble the charger, the dry shot sounds like a great idea. Not only will you see power gains from the nitrous itself, it's going to cool that charger DRAMATICALLY. Boost fuel at the FPR with the vaccuum boost cansister and you should be all set.

Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:23 PM
Yea, it'd the fuel that tears up the coating inside the supercharger or something like that. Maybe it was the blades. But I agree with the dry shot. As long as you have the capabilites to tune your injectors properly and they can handle the extra load, go for it!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:31 AM
There is a teflon coating on the charger blades, and a wet shot will eat up the teflon coating, so I wouldnt do that, obviously you know this already because to run the wet shot, you were going to shoot it in after the rotors.

1. Direct port, obviously the best option, but pricey, and I thought the smallest shot availiable is like a 75 shot or something.

2. Dry shot, this is waht I would do. Deffinatly cool taht m45 down tremendously, and your running a small shot, and if you have the reflash, taht thing is QUITE concervative, so I am sure there is room for a small shot to compensate there.

Oh yea, DAMMMMMMN i love your car, favorite 'vert BY FAR. The charcoal color on the front bumper sets off the wheels amazingly, love it.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:57 PM
you can do direct port for a small shot, and without tapping anything look into the NXL nozzles from nitrous express they go under your injectors like a spacer

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:50 PM
the NXL kits are only for honda B series, and big V8's from GM. we should get them to make some for our injectors. group buy anyone?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:52 AM
no

Check these out

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:46 PM
HA i stand corrected. that is pretty sick. temporary nitrous setup if you wanted. will that work with any type of injectors?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:14 PM
john you can use your kit as a dry kit , you just leave the fuel side caped off

and get the jets for the dry shot

nitrous is ok , but fuel is not ok

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:45 PM
How would I control fuel?

Actually... I guess that is a valid question, even with the dry kit.... if I use the factory FPR to control fuel pressure.... is there going to be enough pressure to support the nitrous and boost?

I'm under the impression.... that the factory FPR works with both vacuum and boost. If the ZEX kit drops vacuum (or boost) to nothing... will it work? Or will I start blowing stuff up? (Finally!!! ha ha)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:06 PM
the NOSzles should would with most Bosch style injectors

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:37 PM
im running venom dry kit tapped into the intake elbow (plastic peice) and it runs just fine, 35 shot and a 50 shot is what ive ran (50 shot now) and i have 310 gm charger injectors and thats it. AFR is still rich even under boost and spray with the 2.6 non-injected pulley

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:36 PM
spray that beatch ...

Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:49 PM
make sure you got a wide band

and the average afr for nitrous is alot richer than turbo or s/c

i think its in the 9's for nitrous

mine ran low 13's with the s/c injectors , and didnt richen up tell i got 36lb injectors

and yes the stock fpr will up the pressure under boost

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:44 PM
john, if you have the alky injection on your car as well as the nitrous hook up and inline switch that powers your pump so you can shut the alky off when you are shooting nitrous. cause depending on the mix would you not be concerned about the water freezing as nitrous is roughly -197 c and that would also cool the blower off better then the alky.

im not sure if my idea would be correct but it was piece of mind for me, if i was wrong please enlighten me cause im not against learning at all

Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:10 PM
can always stage it off a TPS rpm switch like run water till 3k then nitrous from 3500-6300

Friday, June 23, 2006 2:44 AM
I'd say deffinately go direct port. NX makes kits for small HP direct port shots on motorcycles where there is no common intake (ITBs) so there are manufacturers making different jets for them. I got jets for my direct port nitrous/turbo set-up through a company called Nitrous Wholesale Warehouse. They can jet you direct port as low as 12.5hp or anywhere you want, so don't be turned off by the assumption that you have to run a large shot. (281-802-1024)
You can use your zex solenoids and everything and just stick a set of distribution blocks and four nozzles onto your current set-up. Shouldn't cost more than $150usd for the full upgrade if you shop around.

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, July 13, 2006 4:45 PM
I was curious about this aswell. Now you can search on the web for a nitrous calculator, but can you find the jets. My question is, with the GM charger reflash and the amount of timing retard it pulls, along with an external fuel pump (higher pressure pushing more fuel into the nozzles), wouldn't that be enough to keep a stock pulley and a 75 shot? I am thinkin it will put you right about the 250-260 mark. As long as you aren't boosting and spraying in 5th gear at 130 uphill like another cav I know of, pushing about the same numbers on a turbo, it should stay intact pretty well. Perhaps a nitrous controller as well, so its not a full kick of a 75 shot. Actually, can a nitrous controller keep the solenoids from opening all the way so you can lower the spray level? This is what I am playing with for my direct port setup. Just gotta order the rest of the lines, all I got are the nozzles shoved in the charger.... so much depletion! 1150 a month for rent plus utilities and school loans etc etc etc is killin my buzz!

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Monday, August 07, 2006 5:41 PM
What is all this talk I hear of fuel being bad for the teflon seals? That is just not true. If it were, Weiand wouldn't make teflon sealed roots type blowers for carbed cars that draw fuel through the blower, now would they. Go ahead, check out Summitracing.com and look at blowers. In fact, if you're lazy, just click here.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:34 PM
Sure the Weiand ones might... but is the GM supercharger built the same? I don't know, and I suspect you don't know 100% for sure either.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:13 AM
Teflon is teflon, that I do know. If you like, I could talk to a weiand rep and get all the details. For all we know, it could be a myth started by some GM dealer to discourage someone from using nitrous alltogether. GM S/C= still factory warranty, so why would they want to have to del with kids that blow their crap up, and then take off the kit and come back to the dealer to make a claim? All I'm saying is that I hear alot of unfounded talk about the subject, but nobody seems to have any proof that it is true. So so far, it's a myth, or urban legend to me. Time to call the myth busters!

And as far as you suspecting I don't know, I do know that gasoline does not eat teflon. I have worked extensively with both in my escapades, and have used teflon seals in a number of my projects that deal with not only gasoline, but other fuels like alcohol as well. Teflon is chemically resistant to just about anything. It's great stuff, now if I could only figure out how they get it to stick to the pan.................
Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:13 PM
You dont have Weiand you have an Eaton and wet shots arent good for them, the GTP guys will tell you that, they been at this game alot longer and know all the tricks to getting power, wet shot before the charger is just a no go

Monday, August 14, 2006 3:53 AM
Weiand and Eaton are both roots type, both use teflon on the lobes to seal it up better. Are the Eaton SC/s screw type? Last I remember seeing one opened up, it wasn't, but I could be wrong. I'll ask both a weiand rep what he thinks, as well as some GTP owners who have experience with nitrous. I'll post beack with what I've found out.

The whole trick to this, especially if you don't have first hand knowledge, is to keep an open mind here, and don't get a cocky "know it all" atitude. I'll be the first to admit that I could be wrong here. However, you could also be wrong just as easily, and what a great thing that would be for the whole j-body community. Of course that would mean then, that combining nitrous and a blower would be so much easier.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search