My new setup - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My new setup
Sunday, December 05, 2010 4:49 PM
Alrighty. So my old setup which consisted of a Hifonics Brutus Bxi606 pushing 2 Rockford P2's is long gone. I was impressed at the numbers they did considering the subs aren't all that great. The Hifonics died awhile back and I replaced with an AQ1200D. I did 142.5 on the meter.

Subs blew, so I decided to get to work.

Introducing the AQ HDC3 12".

You can see just how massive it is... Let the box building begin.

2 4" Aero ports

Box is roughly 2.5 cubic ft gross, tuned to 36hz. We had it wired @ 2 ohms which is about 900 watts and was hitting 138.x on the meter. We dropped it to 0.5ohms after testing how much voltage drop I'm getting and it's doing 142.x on the meter with roughly 1500 watts. The sub is seriously underpowered. The AQ1200D will be replaced soon with an AQ2200D. All the wiring will be upgraded and also an xcess power battery. The Aero ports aren't final... we used duct tape to hold them together temporarily so we can mess with the tuning later. The box will eventually be wrapped in suede.

I'm impressed how a single sub setup can be this loud. I'm hoping to hit high 140's when it's all said and done

Re: My new setup
Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:29 AM
ive got a box design for you that will do almost a 150 with that 12 and about 2500 watts

click sig for my car audio videos
Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:16 PM
Lets see it then.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:38 PM
Do tell. I don't have any doubts this current box will hit like a 150 flat with 2500+ watts going to it. Tuning isn't perfect at the moment, aero's aren't cut down yet.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:40 PM
Whats your alternator situation?

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:43 PM
Stock... gonna try and see what I can do about that. From what I read there's not much luck with the 2.4's. May run 2 XS power batteries though.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:46 PM
I keep thinking I heard something about alts from an Alero being the same but its been awhile......

Too many batteries on a stock alt is going to shorten its life drastically.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:00 PM
Yeah that I don't have a doubt. I'm still searching/reading. Maybe 1 batt will be enough... my voltage drops aren't toooo bad.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:02 PM
One solid battery upfront can do wonders and can keep you in certain classes depending on what series you compete in.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:51 PM
Yeah, adding batteries and not upgrading the charging isn't doing a damn thing except straining that poor stock alternator.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:54 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Yeah, adding batteries and not upgrading the charging isn't doing a damn thing except straining that poor stock alternator.

Well actually itll help his voltage drop in a car off burp besides that I agree,

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 7:00 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Yeah, adding batteries and not upgrading the charging isn't doing a damn thing except straining that poor stock alternator.

Workin' on it bud, 1 step at a time. I shoulda ran 1/0 to begin with years ago....

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 7:04 PM
^^^I wish I wouldve too. Live and learn.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:03 AM
i gotta measure it lol

i wanna say 32 wide, 14 tall 16 deep sub back one 6" aero to the side, 14 inches long flare to flare, should produce a good amount more of output

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 3:11 PM
Sounds similar. This one is 35 wide, 15 tall, 15 deep, 2 4" aeros. Sure the one 6" is more port area, but the 4 gave me the option to drop tuning by plugging lol. We got bored and did 153 in the port @ 28hz.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 7:01 PM
well, its alla botu the band pass your trunk creats, try mine out, its gunna gain. your box is too tall

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 7:52 PM
That's a tight fit... especially since I did it double layered.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 8:03 PM
only need to double up the baffle

only spans larger than 18 x 18 need bracing

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search