hood pin switch - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hood pin switch
Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:54 PM
hey I had installed a remote start/ alarm.

all was good u till today. the alarm still works great however the remote start dose not.

I have pin pointed the proplem( i think) . the proplem being the hood pin switch was just being bent to the side instead of being pushed down..

my question being where is the best spot for the hood pin switch in a 2005 pontaic sunfire?

Also the alarm has a viberation sensor that can be hooked up ..where is the place place for this and how should i attach it.

Thanks guys..

pictures would be great.

Re: hood pin switch
Sunday, November 28, 2010 3:47 PM
when i had my alarm on my old integra i put the sensor on the steering column pick up any major vibrations around the car or if someone tried to move it before breaking into it. as for attaching it, i cant remember but i think i just used zip ties.

Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:00 PM
I didn't use the hood pin switch on mine, I bought a mercury switch and attached it to the hood. That way it closes the circuit when the hood is up and opens it when closed. Been working fine for years.

The shock sensor i zip tied to some wire loom under the dash.

Monday, December 06, 2010 2:12 PM
up behind the weatherstripping along the windshield/firewall.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 6:41 PM
Been doing remote starts and alarms for about 10 years now.. Pinswitch installation really sucks I might add.. I'm assuming you have the stem style that you can thread up and down for it length?? If so I would remove it and replace with a mercury switch.. The thread style for one over time tend to rust and lose ground. Also the plastic head can get cruded up and stick.. Mercury swith has two leads and fully enclosed so typically don't recieve much damage.. Only issue is if parking on a steep incline may set the switch, has to be a good angle though.

As for the shock sensor, it is just that a shock sensor so must be installed to a secure structure of vehicle. The steering column is where most installers place them.. mount it securely with a zip tie. A lil pice of double side tape helps as well to secure it. Make sure the column and area you mount to on column doesn't rotate as you turn the steering wheel. Seen many installed to steering column and wires are wrapped around column or ripped out of sensor do to column moving.

Good luck with your installation.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search