mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam
Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:14 AM
Is anybody using these products on here? I've heard some good things and I've been debating what upgrades I want to do in the fall. I've already got the sound deadener covered using raamat, but I thought about giving this a whirl after reading about it on sounddeadenershowdown and diymobileaudio. Any opinions or first hand experience?

Re: mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam
Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:44 AM
Closed cell foam does NOTHING

Mass loaded vinyl is AWESOME. It's a thick layer of high density material attached to about 1/2" of closed cell foam. Before I said that closed cell foam does nothing and it doesn't. Here's the explanation.
Ask any insulation expert and they'll tell you that air is the best insulator. But only if it is decoupled from the air that you want to isolate from sound. The closed cell foam simply gives the air a space to exist in, and the mass loaded vinyl decouples that air from the air in the cabin. Making a sound barrier

It's worth saying that an uncovered area of 10% can allow 90% of road noise to enter. So you have to be diligent and spendy.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:55 AM
Good information. I guess if I do it I will need to be very thourough. Doing 90% seems pretty unacceptable. If getting complete coverage is that important, is it very worthwhile. I can't picture getting this stuff in every nook and cranny.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:14 AM
While it's a scary figure. Keep in mind that you just have to cover the are where sound is entering. You don't have to cover 100% of the vehicle. Just 100% of the problem areas.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search