Fuse already in amp? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuse already in amp?
Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:38 AM
I just got a kenwood Kac-744 and there is already a 25a fuse in the back of the amp, do I still have to install one when I hook it up to the car?
Another question, does anyone know of holes in the firewall in an '02 cavalier to put wires through instead of drilling some?

Thanks

Re: Fuse already in amp?
Sunday, December 26, 2010 12:07 PM
Crystal Peters wrote:I just got a kenwood Kac-744 and there is already a 25a fuse in the back of the amp, do I still have to install one when I hook it up to the car?

yes.

Quote:

Another question, does anyone know of holes in the firewall in an '02 cavalier to put wires through instead of drilling some?

Thanks

take a look under the dash and you'll see a 3" silicone grommet. nice easy place to run wires.

car audio noob since 1984.
Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:09 PM
To elaborate on Rich's answer of "yes"(which is very very true), here is why:
The fuse in the amp is there to protect the internal components of the amp. The fuse in the wire is to protect the wire, your car, and you. That's the reason it needs to be as close to the batter as possible(usually recommended to be 8 inches or less from the battery). If the wire, somewhere between the batter and the amp, shorts out for any reason, instead of the wire heating up, burning up, and causing a fire, the fuse pops. DO NOT skip the fuse on the wire. Also make sure you get the proper sized fuse.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:15 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:To elaborate on Rich's answer of "yes"(which is very very true), here is why:
The fuse in the amp is there to protect the internal components of the amp. The fuse in the wire is to protect the wire, your car, and you. That's the reason it needs to be as close to the batter as possible(usually recommended to be 8 inches or less from the battery). If the wire, somewhere between the batter and the amp, shorts out for any reason, instead of the wire heating up, burning up, and causing a fire, the fuse pops. DO NOT skip the fuse on the wire. Also make sure you get the proper sized fuse.

Thanks so much, what size fuse would I need? the amp is only about 400 watts and I just bought a 400 watt wiring kit.
Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:22 PM
don't worry about those random, made up marketing gimics like wattage ratings on something like a wiring kit. What gauge is the power wire? And if you bought a wiring kit, they usually come with a fuse in the package.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:32 PM
The power cable is 17' long 6.5 mm thick
Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:33 PM
Does it say what gauge the wire is on the packaging?

Sunday, December 26, 2010 3:03 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Does it say what gauge the wire is on the packaging?

No it doesn't, I looked on the cable and it says 6.5 oxygen free high current power/ground cable.
On the package it says 17' 6.5mm hex power cable
Sorry, how would I find that out?
And if I ever get a new amp do I have to re wire with bigger wire?
Sunday, December 26, 2010 3:12 PM
I don't know if the blue plastic wire coating coating counts, but it's 2 gauge with the plastic coating not cut off.
Sorry, I'm a noob and too cheap to go to a pro since it's just a temporary thing
Sunday, December 26, 2010 3:44 PM
Sorry. I looked up the model number (scosche e400) and it says it's 8awg?
Monday, December 27, 2010 8:50 AM
I would fuse it for 40A in that case.

Monday, December 27, 2010 8:55 AM
what would you fuse 4g welding cable running 2 300w amps? i got 100a and 50 a fuses.. and i fused both lines after the distribution block, at 50a and i wanna know what to run in main line by battery. im using 100a right now.
Monday, December 27, 2010 9:11 AM
If you are still talking about those 2 Pioneer amps, I don't see 100 being an issue. Stick to that. The wire itself should be able to carry more than that, and those amps shouldn't ever be drawing that much at all. At 100 amps, you should be perfectly safe Jeremy.

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:14 AM
ya its the two pioneer's.. sounds alot better than i thought they would. lol now i jus need to try to eliminate all the ratteling
Monday, December 27, 2010 10:04 AM
If you want to get serious about getting the best rattle killing/sound damping material out there, let me know. I can get you a very reasonable price on a bulk pack of Cascade VBMax.

Monday, December 27, 2010 6:46 PM
well for now i just need to find the spots and fix em with what ever i have around.. this summer when we get the wife a new car (and the kids out of mine) then i will be upgrading sound system and dampening
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search