time for a new sub - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
time for a new sub
Wednesday, January 05, 2011 8:53 PM
I just found out today that my sub is blown soo time for a new one... I have a alpine mpr m500 amp that puts out 500w rms at 2 ohms and 300w at 4ohms. my sub was a 12 in alpine type r in a prefab vented box it wasent bad but im looking for somthing different. My budget is about $300 for a new sub and box. im more of a sq guy soo i would just like to see what some of you guys reccomnd thanks

Re: time for a new sub
Wednesday, January 05, 2011 10:46 PM
I might be able to work a 12" Rainbow Hammer and a custom built box into your budget. I'm actually quite confident that I can. Specs and info can be found here:
http://195.243.203.21/rainbow/technical.aspx?pa=13211&lan=ENG

One of those in the dual 4 ohm configuration would get the most out of your amp, with headroom to spare. On top of that, my box guy can whip something up within a weeks time usually, and your budget might be perfect. Let me know if you might be interested in stepping into the realm of Rainbow audio. Phil(QBE) can vouch for the Rainbow Hammer. Great sounding sub at a very reasonable price. I have also gotten Brian(sundownfire) into some Rainbow components. So there are people on this forum except myself that I have gotten into their equipment, and they will vouch for the quality and sound

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:08 AM
iDQ12v3 would be nice and within your budget.

And I do loves my Rainbows.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:21 AM
gunna have to suggest a sundown sa-12 or Skar Audio VVX12.

these can be had for about 190 new to around 140 used.

and a custom box built should cost no more than 100$. if you have good wood working skills i can provide a design that works well with either subwoofer and you can build the box yourself for barely 50$.

IIRC skar audio has a special going on right now for a vvx 12 and a custom box for 250 shipped!!

click sig for my car audio videos
Thursday, January 06, 2011 11:19 AM
Didn't u admit to not knowing anything about good sq? So go ahead and make recomendations for a guy looking for higher quality sq..... Lol.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:54 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Didn't u admit to not knowing anything about good sq? So go ahead and make recomendations for a guy looking for higher quality sq..... Lol.

lol now that there is funny i don't care who you are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:13 PM
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/45981-vvx12-single-12-ported-box-special-package/

fyi

and jl, you really gotta dump on every post i make dont you? i dont care what you think, these subwoofers are amazing. i still dont see how you can say that somthing isnt what it is when you havent heard them or even touched one. like i said, i know if somthing sounds good, and these sound good, i may not know what to look for that makes a subwoofer a good "sq" subwoofer, but like i said, i do know that these subwoofers are great.

And OP i was wrong, its 200$ shipped for the subwoofer and a custom sub box.

Have a great night gentlemen...

Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:37 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:I might be able to work a 12" Rainbow Hammer and a custom built box into your budget. I'm actually quite confident that I can. Specs and info can be found here:
http://195.243.203.21/rainbow/technical.aspx?pa=13211&lan=ENG

One of those in the dual 4 ohm configuration would get the most out of your amp, with headroom to spare. On top of that, my box guy can whip something up within a weeks time usually, and your budget might be perfect. Let me know if you might be interested in stepping into the realm of Rainbow audio. Phil(QBE) can vouch for the Rainbow Hammer. Great sounding sub at a very reasonable price. I have also gotten Brian(sundownfire) into some Rainbow components. So there are people on this forum except myself that I have gotten into their equipment, and they will vouch for the quality and sound

id be very interested in this if you could give me some pricing and maybe some specs of the box size that would be great thanks. the only thing i think that would get pricey is shipping
Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:38 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:iDQ12v3 would be nice and within your budget.

also considering these where would you suggest buying one from?
Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:39 PM
I'm not saying that your taste tells you the subs sound good. BUT you also do SPL comp stuff and admitted that the only thing you did to test those new, unknown, unproven, fresh subs was see how loud they could get without damage or without you noticing mechanical noise to the best of your ability...

I'm sorry, and I DO NOT MEAN TO sound like I'm personally attacking you all the time, nor sounding that I am being full of myself, but I just hate to see someone recommending a brand no one has really tested and used yet, or a brand known for getting loud and making big amps(Sundown) in a thread looking for a higher end sq type setup.

I don't see an SA-12 as a quality or sound upgrade from a Type-R..... marginally at best. For $200, is it worth a gable on a new brand? Sure, for some people.... but for another $100 I could get him into an infinitely higher end custom built box with 45'd corners, flush mount double baffle with some customization available, color options, rounded port edges, etc, PLUS a time tested, proven high end brand sub.

I don't mean to sound hostile towards you, or that I am trying to say I'm better, but I would think with years of focusing on making high quality sound and clean installs with high end equipment, that it should be reasonable for me to be skeptical of someone who openly admitted to not knowing how to listen for, judge, or talk SQ AND is big into SPL stuff. Holy run on sentence... I'm done

Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:42 PM
03cav83 wrote:
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:iDQ12v3 would be nice and within your budget.

also considering these where would you suggest buying one from?

Ive always seen good prices on woofersetc.com. I was going to pick one up from there but I found an iD12 for $35 on eBay and got that instead.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:50 PM
i was also considering making a box to try to save some money ive never made a sub box before but making a sealed box to hold 1 12in sub dosent seem too hard at all any suggestions oshould i just pay to have a quality box built because i know the box makes a big deal
Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:50 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/45981-vvx12-single-12-ported-box-special-package/

fyi

and jl, you really gotta dump on every post i make dont you? i dont care what you think, these subwoofers are amazing. i still dont see how you can say that somthing isnt what it is when you havent heard them or even touched one. like i said, i know if somthing sounds good, and these sound good, i may not know what to look for that makes a subwoofer a good "sq" subwoofer, but like i said, i do know that these subwoofers are great.

i gotta give you props dude, you've easily taken more @!#$ on here than anyone i've ever seen lol.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:58 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:I'm not saying that your taste tells you the subs sound good. BUT you also do SPL comp stuff and admitted that the only thing you did to test those new, unknown, unproven, fresh subs was see how loud they could get without damage or without you noticing mechanical noise to the best of your ability...

I'm sorry, and I DO NOT MEAN TO sound like I'm personally attacking you all the time, nor sounding that I am being full of myself, but I just hate to see someone recommending a brand no one has really tested and used yet, or a brand known for getting loud and making big amps(Sundown) in a thread looking for a higher end sq type setup.

I don't see an SA-12 as a quality or sound upgrade from a Type-R..... marginally at best. For $200, is it worth a gable on a new brand? Sure, for some people.... but for another $100 I could get him into an infinitely higher end custom built box with 45'd corners, flush mount double baffle with some customization available, color options, rounded port edges, etc, PLUS a time tested, proven high end brand sub.

I don't mean to sound hostile towards you, or that I am trying to say I'm better, but I would think with years of focusing on making high quality sound and clean installs with high end equipment, that it should be reasonable for me to be skeptical of someone who openly admitted to not knowing how to listen for, judge, or talk SQ AND is big into SPL stuff. Holy run on sentence... I'm done

Don't worry about shipping prices, I always have those factored into my price quotes, and I still think I can do this within your budget.

As for specs, do me a quick favor, either find out, ask, or measure the max height the box can be(width too), in order to fit in through the trunk opening. That is all I need. Box size from there can be tweaked around the subs requirements(which for a ported box, for a Rainbow Hammer will only be about 1.1-1.3 cu. ft. max.). Like I said, the pricing also includes 45 degree corners, rounded port edges, carpet, double flush mount baffle, and some customization such as designs cut into the front baffle available.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:06 PM
03cav83 wrote:i was also considering making a box to try to save some money ive never made a sub box before but making a sealed box to hold 1 12in sub dosent seem too hard at all any suggestions oshould i just pay to have a quality box built because i know the box makes a big deal

Its not hard if you have the proper equipment. I built mine in like 30 minutes from some scrap MDF I had sitting around. You dont need to be fancy about it if thats not what you want. We can discuss the semantics of sealed vs ported later but Im a sealed guy for an SQ sub.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:09 PM
well i know i wanna go sealed i have a ported box now its not bad just ive herd sealed box sound better
Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:11 PM
jl- i cant measure it now ill get that for you tomorrow but for just a single 12in sealed box im not trying to use my whole trunk i do carry my hockey bag in there soo i would like the box on the smaller side hopefuly
Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:19 PM
I run a 12 in a 1 cu ft box and I have tons of room left with my amp rack in there too.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:22 PM
OH YOU ARE GOING SEALED?!?! Then I can guarantee this will fit your budget, even when going with my professional box guy. And even smaller box needed, so I won't even need any of those trunk measurements. The Hammer only needs .7-.8 cu. ft. of airspace in a sealed box.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:36 PM
yea sorry thought i said that earlier guess not. but yea i would like to go sealed if you could let me know some exact price and mabey about how long it would take to make and everything that would be great thanks
Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:44 PM
making the box would be about a week. usually turns em out in a few days and gets it shipped to you. As for pricing, I will work exact pricing out tonight with him. Anything special, custom, or unique you want?

Thursday, January 06, 2011 10:21 PM
naa not really a normal box would be good noone really looks inside my trunk anyway lol
Thursday, January 06, 2011 10:29 PM
ha alright. Will get with you tomorrow. Probably in the evening after work. I hope I can help get you into something nice, higher end, and in your budget.

Friday, January 07, 2011 7:12 AM
blucavvy wrote:
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/45981-vvx12-single-12-ported-box-special-package/

fyi

i gotta give you props dude, you've easily taken more @!#$ on here than anyone i've ever seen lol.

oh well, people are gunna say what their gunna say, i know what i know... thats that lol

Friday, January 07, 2011 8:30 AM
But if what they say is advice that is bad, or isn't ideal for the potential buyer, why just let it roll? I won't, THAT is that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search