help with hard wiring new radio - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help with hard wiring new radio
Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:04 AM
I have a 2000 cavalier base sedan. My wife just bought me a new jvc head unit for our cavalier. The old radio was stolen a while ago. They cut the connector so I just have the wires. I have searched and I cant find the wiring list/diagram. I knoow im not the first person with aa problem like this. Could someone please help me? And I also need to know where the red, thick yellow and orange w/ white stripped wiring from the new head unit go. Can I use the ground wire from the car or do I have to use a bolt for the ground?

Re: help with hard wiring new radio
Saturday, February 05, 2011 12:09 PM
Do yourself ba favor and do it right. Go to a junk yard and cut a radio harness out. Solder and heat shrink it on, then get the right aftermarket stereo harness to plug in. Don't hardwire your new stereo to the factory wiring.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Saturday, February 05, 2011 1:55 PM
I know this is probably a stupid question. If I cant find a cavalier/sunfire, would the radio harness from a blazer or other gm car/truck work too or does it have to be a cavalier/sunfire?
Saturday, February 05, 2011 2:23 PM
im going to take a wild guess here... if the connectors look the same i say go for it.. most gm radios after 00 have the same radio plug in back.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:05 PM
I believe like 1998-00+ Trackers or something around that year range use the same connectors. I don't remember what other vehicles.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:44 PM
Any Gm from 90+ should have the right one, excepting maybe some oldsmobiles.

It'll look like this
http://www.metraonline.com/images/products/full/71-1858-1.jpg

Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:46 PM
Oops. That's not right, I guess that was the year they changed over.
http://www.metraonline.com/images/products/full/71-2003-1.jpg

Silverados (or equivalent full size truck) should have the same plug.

Sunday, February 06, 2011 10:42 AM
Since Im already talking about audio and I will be going to the junk yard soon, what cars have decent 6x9's? When we bought our cavalier itonly had one sony explode 6x9 and it was blown. I had taken the 4 6x8 speaker out of our totalled '00 windstar and put two in the rear speaker holes. I cant afford after market speakers right now, but im hoping to get some in a few months. But for now I just want some decent factory speakers.
Friday, February 25, 2011 10:29 AM
What wiring harness adapter do I need? Is there one for 2000 and up cavaliers? I went to two different walmarts and I couldnt find the wiring harness adapter.

-2000 cavalier 2.2l 3 speed base sedan silver
-U.S.A Love it or leave it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search