aftermarket radio problems help! - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
aftermarket radio problems help!
Friday, February 25, 2011 9:19 PM
I have a alpine head unit, alpine amp, and pioneer speakers. Everything was in a '99 cavalier coupe. The connectors from the radio were different than the one for my '00 cavalier. I went to walmart and picked up a connector for $6 (i think). The connector didnt say anything about cavaliers but it said it would work with geo's and other gm cars (someone said it would still work for my car). My problem is that nothing works. There is no power. Did I get the wrong connector even though they connect to each other? Do I need to get the $35 connector that retains the chimes (i dont care about the chimes)? I heard that some people had to run a wire from the fuse box to get power. Is this true? If so, which fuse do I need to use and does the wire need a fuse in it? Which wire does the fuse box wire need to go to? right now I dont have a radio in my car. I drive 30 miles to work one way. Driving in silence is starting to drive me a little crazy. Also, is it worth hooking up the amp to the pioneer speakers? I have never hooked up an amp before. So any tips to installing it would definetly be a big help. Thanks.

-2000 cavalier 2.2l 3 speed base sedan silver
-U.S.A Love it or leave it

Re: aftermarket radio problems help!
Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:46 PM
Taken from a post in a thread about something else, but I believe this is the answer you are looking for

With the harness you will just need to run a accessory wire. Which you can get at the fuse box or you can tap into the main vehicle harness for that. Use the brown or orange wire and a 15 amp fuse

And for the amp, you don't have to do the speakers to it, but amps are easy, large ground to metal on car, power wire to battery, and remote wire to unit or fuse *mine is to unit*, then of course sub wires to amp itself and the RCA to back of unit. Easy stuff I believe
Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:28 PM
which wire do I need to connect the fused wire to on the radio? Do I still need to connect that wire to the wiring harness or just connect the two wires to each other without the harness(i hope my question makes sense)?

Could I maybe just run a fused wire directly to the battery and shut the radio off manually?

Thank you for the advice.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:16 PM
Well, I got the alpine deck to turn on. I guess thats a start. But now there isnt any sound. I thought it could have been some bad connections on the speaker wires so I took a good speaker to test the wires. I discovered that the speaker wires on the back of the headunit dont work. I did a google search, someone had a simular problem and alpine's fix was to replace it, repair the head unit (they said the bult in amp was probably bad), or use the rca outputs and us an external amp. So im guessing that the speaker wires went bad and who ever owned this radio just used the rca outputs and an amp (the front/rear speaker wires on the other cavalier wiring harness were taped to each other and not used). I knew I should have gotten those amp wires from that car too! This is becoming a bigger pain in the butt that I expected. But I want to listen to music on my boring drive to/from work and the alpine head uniit, amp, and pioneer 6x9's were free so its worth it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search