Sub shopping - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sub shopping
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:34 AM
What are recommended setups that are 2 ohm stable and 500 watts rms? Budget isnt an issue if they are quality products, and my neighbor and I will be making a box to specifications for the sub (s). Just trying. to get an idea cost wise. Btw my amp is a kenwood kac 8105d

Re: Sub shopping
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:15 AM
A pair of rainbow hammers would do great off 500rms, and sound awesome. But what are you looking for mainly, and what kind of budget?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:21 AM
idk honestly looking for lie the two to four hundred range, trying to price out options for now
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:36 AM
Alpine Type R does the job as well.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:12 PM
Currently using a type e, and used to work at best buy and played with the type r wasnt too happy
with its performance
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:13 PM
Then you were doing it wrong

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:34 PM
After seeing how much they mark the alpines upto im all set, the price doesn't match the performance in my opinion althougj 50 dollars for the type im using was worth it
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:04 PM
A rainbow profi or vanadium would be amazing, very nice high end subs, but pricey as you would expect. When I get home from my day job, ill check my price on a profi. I think its close to that bbudget.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:27 PM
type r's slam. one of the best sounding subs ive herd
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:43 PM
try out a single sa-12 from sundown, 195 online (i can get them for you if you dont have a dealer in your area) and it does amazing off 500 watts... int he right box, anythign will shine tho...

click sig for my car audio videos
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:11 PM
I have no complaints with my type-r. Mines in a sealed box built according to alpines recommendations and its seeing about 700w. Sounds awesome, thumps hard when I want to to with rap music but also shines with rock music.

Dave

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:09 PM
cody fasano wrote:type r's slam. one of the best sounding subs ive herd

It's too bad you haven't heard anything better

Now, to a certain extent, with subs, you can take almost any sub that you have and build the right box and tune things right to make it work for you somewhat.... BUT nothing can replace R&D, quality parts, quality fabrication, and a company that knows how to do things right. So there are obviously going to be better and worse options. No matter how good you are at building a box, your No-name sub isn't going to perform or last like a Rainbow, Morel, JL, or other known brand with experience doing things right.

But like I said, if you wanted to go so far as to get into a Rainbow Profi, let me know.
Specs: http://rainbowcaraudio.com/profi12.html

A 12" Profi would be $435 shipped, a 10" Profi would be $425 shipped, and I need to confirm availability (they sell fast), I should be able to do a pair of 12" Rainbow Hammers for $375 shipped.

Just a few of the higher end options for you, since you mentioned wanting something of high quality and not minding spending a bit to get nicer things.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:26 PM
Thank you, im gonna have to save my pennies but those seem well worth
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:53 PM
If I didn't already have my subs for my car, I would be running an 8" Profi or Vanadium myself Very nice little subs.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:04 PM
I had a nice bandpass ten inch box until my type e blew a twelve by twelv section out of it
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:04 PM
"nice bandpass box with a type e" sounds like a prefabbed "bandpass" box with plexi? That's not a real bandpass box, and they're @!#$ trash. You need to find yourself a nice high quality sub, build a sturdy, quality sealed or vented enclosure, and tune it right.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:37 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:"nice bandpass box with a type e" sounds like a prefabbed "bandpass" box with plexi? That's not a real bandpass box, and they're @!#$ trash. You need to find yourself a nice high quality sub, build a sturdy, quality sealed or vented enclosure, and tune it right.

Honestly, I've never heard/seen a worse box than a cheap, plexiglass, FAKE bandpass. Just like a good box can make almost any sub sound great, that box can make anything sound like $#!@!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:46 PM
Exactly. Anyway, it's good to see the OP on the right track looking to buy something high quality and build the right box for it.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:09 PM
ya, the box is one of those jl audio prefabbed boxes with the plexi that originally housed a 10w0. But anyways I love music and sound quality is very important to me
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:38 AM
if sound quality is important time to stop shopping at best buy. best they have is just run of the mill stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:35 AM
Ya, I bought my sub, amp, and speak ers while working there for cheap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search