Looking over my stereo, whats good whats bad? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking over my stereo, whats good whats bad?
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:02 PM
I bought my car with upgraded stereo and I'm wondering what you guys think of it. I know its definitely not the best system in the world, far from it. I like what I have here, but I'd like to know where is the best place to make improvements.

So here's what I know about it, The doors (coupe) have been dynamatted along with the rear deck. Speaker wires have been upgraded, I don't know the gauge but I know it is much heavier than stock.

Headunit: Pioneer Premier Super Tuner III

Rear speakers: Audiobahn AS69Q 6x9 3 way

Front: Alpine component set, 4 tweeters (2 in dash, 1 in each door by power lock switch)

Doors: Had 6.5 Alpines from component set but rubber surrounds came unglued, I'm told these can be fixed? Surrounds are not torn just came loose and apart from basket.
Replaced with Pioneer 6.5 Walmart special's for now. I'd like to put the Alpines back in if I can fix them, then put Pioneers in one of the beater cars.

So there's what I have, I'm not looking to pack it full of speakers or anything, it is my daily driver. I would like to put subs in over the summer when I get some extra money. Nothing too big, not looking into competitions or anything. Maybe 1 or 2 12's

Let me know what you think, Thanks.

Re: Looking over my stereo, whats good whats bad?
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:11 PM
It's all going to come down to what you want it to sound like, how much work you want to put into it, and how much you are looking to spend. I wouldn't waste your time trying to repair the mids. A reasonably priced route to do everything in a fairly well-rounded way would be to get a good 4 channel amp, a sub, and a quality set of components up front. If you like your rear speakers, leave them and just let the head unit power them, focus on tuning the front components right. Also, you don't need 4 tweeters up there, dunno wtf the previous owner was thinking.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:39 PM
Thanks for that, Depending on where my job takes me this summer I would either have a few hundred to spend, or upwards of a thousand.

At this point I just want my system to sound good all around. Right now I have it set to where I like it at 30-40 volume wise, but above 40 it just sounds bad, depending on the song.
I listen to all types of music.. Rap, R&B, some pop, Rock, Metal, and even some Country. I really want to be able to listen to all types without having to switch my EQ setting all the time.
I do like my headunit and the rear 6x9's pretty well, I had no control over where the tweeters were placed, but they are there now and they aren't coming out. Both the dash and door panels are permanently scarred from the tweeters I cant really fix that.

So far the Walmart Pioneers have been good for me, but what would be something good to upgrade to? It would be nice to keep the Alpine set but there's always room for improvement.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:05 PM
Well above 40 it probably sounds like ass because your head unit is clipping.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:14 PM
I really don't know why it sounds like ass above 40, I know it varies depending on how the EQ is tuned. If I change the settings I can make it sound good from 40-50 or 50-max at 62. But I cant set the tune once and make it work for the whole range of volume. I have it tuned for 30-40 now because I don't need or want it at full volume all of the time.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:32 PM
You likely need to turn on the high pass filter. Speakers don't especially like sub bass.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:51 AM
yeah you cut the bass out of your mids and allot of times you can get double the power into them. that would be solved with a 4 channel amp witha built in crossover. then get a nice sub and a nice componet set. thast really all you need for a decent quality system.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:54 AM
If you could get me an actual model number for that deck I could likely tell you a few tricks to make it work better. It should be something like DEH-P####

Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:22 PM
Sure, I have the manual right here... its a DEH-P390MP Its a pretty nice one I think, better than all the hand me down ones i've had before anyway.
Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:45 PM
All yours Brad, I hate and refuse to work with Pioneer decks any more

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Friday, March 18, 2011 9:48 AM
Well, I can't get my hands on the manual. But there is likely an audio button that will give you access to the HPF and LOUD settings, or maybe just a loud button.

Loud should be off.
HPF should be at 63. If you get a sub it should go to 80.

Friday, March 18, 2011 12:21 PM
Alright, I will check those and change accordingly... see what she sounds like
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search