Factory fuel gauge with aftermarket sender - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Factory fuel gauge with aftermarket sender
Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:33 PM
I have the factory fuel gauge in my dash (GM 0-90 Ohm). I want to use a sender that has a 0-5v output (0 empty, 5 full).

I have done some research and can't seem to find a simple way to hook this up. In fact, I've only found one actual diagram for it (the SoC would be the sender)-

I realize some of the values would need to be changed in this in order to match the 0-90 Ohm GM gauge.

Can anyone verify this for me? I'm not at the top of my game with electronics like this.

I know someone will ask "Why not just buy a different sender?" Answer- I need a tube type capacitive sender for use in a fuel cell with foam, like this-

The cheapest I have found these from an automotive source is around $150. Most watercraft applications use a tube type sender, all priced around $50, but unfortunately, they are either 240-33 Ohm or 0-5v senders. I have one of the 0-5v senders already.

And no, I don't want to go hacking up my dash to put a 0-5v gauge in. I want to keep it factory. I don't have a problem soldering things to the back of the cluster though.

Would it be easier to use a 240-33 Ohm sender somehow?

There has got to be an easy way to do this for well under $150. I'm only into it for $50 at this point, and anything under $100 would keep me happy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search