Battery and amp question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Battery and amp question
Monday, March 26, 2012 9:11 AM
Right now I'm running a RE audio xxx 18 in my 2000 cavalier. The amp I want is the soundstream XXX D 4000. Ill be running at 2 ohms and that's 2,200 rms I have no idea what the box drop will be. But I want to add a battery in series to run at 24 volts. IS this even possible and can the car handle it?

Re: Battery and amp question
Monday, March 26, 2012 11:15 AM
1. Your cars electronics will not run off a 24v system. 2. You don't just add a battery and have a 24v system......

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, March 26, 2012 11:42 AM
Yeah what JL said, u can add another battery n run it in sequence with the other but you'll probably need a high output alternator and the big 3's a definate if so

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Monday, March 26, 2012 12:41 PM
I have the big 3. And I know if I add a battery in parallel I need a better alternator. But for a wile I was running the big 3 with 2 3000 watt class D amps with a second battery and stock alternator and things seemed to be running OK. Any suggestions on a high out put alternator? (For sure oll need one for this new amp)
Monday, March 26, 2012 1:47 PM
Just do a Google search on 1 I never used 1 with my stuff so I wouldn't kno who has what but I kno they make them for the older cavs, maybe JL can help u more on that

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:36 AM
Look into AD244 alt swap. Its a good bang for the buck upgrade and you get a better platform to rebuild to HO if you decide to go that route. The CS140 the Cavs come with stock are prone to heat issues when you rebuild for HO due to the case size. The second battery wont help you much with the car running because the alt keeps the electrical system at a higher voltage, it will help pick up some of the slack if you have heavy voltage drop . A second battery really helps you when youre running with the car off. The extra capacity helps keep the voltage up longer.

I need to rebuild my AD244 for 240 amps.

If you want info on the swap just shoot me a PM. Theres a mismatch of information on here from people who actually havent swapped the alts. Im one of the few who has.

For future reference unless you know the operating voltages of your equipment DO NOT boost voltage or youll end up with a bunch of expensive paperweights. Most people running 16v systems run them on a separate electrical loop for the stereo.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search