head unit issue - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
head unit issue
Monday, April 02, 2012 5:53 PM
the problem is in a 99 sunfire with the 2200 and its an alpine head unit.........

the music will being playing just fine but if you turn it up to loud with the bass up it will basically act like it shorts out...... anyone know what might be causing this? i have done the big 3 as well to try and solve the problem but still does it........ thanks in advance

Re: head unit issue
Monday, April 02, 2012 7:10 PM
assuming you're running an aftermarket amp and sub(s)? Sounds like you have your gain too high and the amp is going into protect mode when you ask too much of it.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:18 AM
nope dont even have subs or anything only uprgraded 6x9s and 4x6s
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:17 AM
How many ohms do you have on the channels? If the speakers are 4 ohm, make sure the head unit can handle 4 ohms. If you are running 4 ohms on a head unit designed to handle 8 or more, it would cause it to overheat.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:45 PM
it did this even with stock speakers, i dunno wat the hell is wrong with it but its annoying as hell lol
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 4:12 PM
You are asking too much from the head unit. The amp in the head unit isn't much at all and you are cranking the volume, trying to turn the bass up, and it's flat out overheating/cutting off to protect itself.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 1:28 PM
is there anything i can do to fix that problem? sorry dont really know much bout audio
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:30 PM
DaDdYoF2LiLgUyS wrote:is there anything i can do to fix that problem? sorry dont really know much bout audio

add a 4 channel amp and properly set the gains.

car audio noob since 1984.
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:33 PM
DaDdYoF2LiLgUyS wrote:is there anything i can do to fix that problem? sorry dont really know much bout audio

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. But it's probably a bad speaker(s).
A bad speaker will typically have an exposed part on the coil from being burned up, and when you throw bass at it, it will short against the former.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search