speedo doesnt read any less than 80 but all other gauges work? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
speedo doesnt read any less than 80 but all other gauges work?
Friday, May 11, 2012 4:34 PM
it's an 05 fire with just under 54k on it. Today the speedo decided that it wasnt going to read below 80 on the gauge. The strange thing is the other gauges all work fine. Any ideas on what might have happened? Car sits outside and had been sitting for a couple days before this happened also.

Re: speedo doesnt read any less than 80 but all other gauges work?
Friday, May 11, 2012 4:51 PM
kinda common, just swap the cluster out.

car audio noob since 1984.
Friday, May 11, 2012 5:07 PM
Any idea how much a junkyard would charge for a cluster at a you pick place?
Friday, May 11, 2012 6:18 PM
I bought a cluster out of an e28 BMW and they charged me $20 I think.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, May 14, 2012 11:57 AM
I just fixed my speedometer issue for $15. It had the same issue as yours except mine was the tach and speedometer. I was able to reset mine back to zero each time by turing on the cluster off/on multiple times. Yesterday my buddy who knows how to solder helped me replace my tach and speedometer motors. I was going to write a How to after I got off work, so if you want to go my route I should have one up tonight or tomorrow. I will say though trying to get the needles as accuarte as before took a while, they are slightly off but 1 mph for speed, about 1 bar for the temp, half a bar under for gas and tach is just fine.

Like everyone said before, get one at the junkyard. The pick-and-pull around my house charge $25 for everything or $10 just for the circuit board.
Monday, May 14, 2012 1:48 PM
Your stepper motors in the dash are bad. It i a common issue with many many GM vehicles. GM is aware of the problem but has installed thousands of bad motors anyways.

Look here http://tinyurl.com/dy92rjf for the correct application for your fire. I did all the motors on my 05', the dash will have to come out and the cluster and if you can solder it is an easy job. If you can't solder just take it to your local computer shop and have them do it.

After the new motors are installed put the needles back on and tweak them so when the key is turned to off they rest at 0 easy cheesy.

-I drive my car to work-
Monday, May 14, 2012 2:20 PM
Dash has to come out? What? You only have to remove the top cover of the dash, and the speedo bezel.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:39 AM
That is what I meant, the entire dash cover. I was not able to remove the cluster until my dash looked like a weight reduction project...

-I drive my car to work-
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:41 PM
i'm all for diy. but for the cost of the motors, then to take the dash apart, then to pull the needles, disassemble the cluster, solder in new motors, and reassemble everything, you can get replacement clusters on ebay/carpart.com for like $30.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:39 PM
yeah I am having a good laugh reading all the replies about tearing everything apart and soldering new motors in and re-setting needles. Their J-bodies. I promise there are 30 in your local u-pull-it. Just get a cluster, pop it in, call it a day.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:39 PM
***They're. Damn, I have never made that mistake before.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:33 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:i'm all for diy. but for the cost of the motors, then to take the dash apart, then to pull the needles, disassemble the cluster, solder in new motors, and reassemble everything, you can get replacement clusters on ebay/carpart.com for like $30.

JLAudioCavalier wrote:yeah I am having a good laugh reading all the replies about tearing everything apart and soldering new motors in and re-setting needles. Their J-bodies. I promise there are 30 in your local u-pull-it. Just get a cluster, pop it in, call it a day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-SALE-REMAN-SUNFIRE-INSTRUMENT-GAUGE-CLUSTER-PANEL-/270771113808?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASunfire&hash=item3f0b374f50&vxp=mtr#ht_11 71wt_1272

All hail the wise and mighty kings of JBO.

How about you take 2 minutes and do a search before you start telling us how stupid we are? The cheapest ebay cluster for a 03+ is not $30, Rockauto charges $250 plus core. Not to mention resetting the odometer to the correct miles. Many of us don't have good junk yards to get cheap parts from.

I payed less than $20 for new stepper motors and had my dash apart fixed and back together in a few hours.

Neither of you guys brought ANY helpful information to this thread, but you still found time to ridicule those of us who did.

-I drive my car to work-
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:15 AM
You don't have pick and pull yards in San Diego? Jesus you don't get out much if you believe that...

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:53 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:You don't have pick and pull yards in San Diego? Jesus you don't get out much if you believe that...

Ya we do but they suck. The other options for used parts only get worse from there.

The point of my post is still true. Many of us don't have access to tons of used parts at junk yards like the mid-west and east coast. So instead of bashing why not post something helpful or constructive?

-I drive my car to work-
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:58 PM
I was helpful. I said it would be easy to pull a cluster at a yard and swap it in. I also answered his question about what the local pick-it yards charge for a cluster.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:21 AM
durandall05 wrote:
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:i'm all for diy. but for the cost of the motors, then to take the dash apart, then to pull the needles, disassemble the cluster, solder in new motors, and reassemble everything, you can get replacement clusters on ebay/carpart.com for like $30.

JLAudioCavalier wrote:yeah I am having a good laugh reading all the replies about tearing everything apart and soldering new motors in and re-setting needles. Their J-bodies. I promise there are 30 in your local u-pull-it. Just get a cluster, pop it in, call it a day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-SALE-REMAN-SUNFIRE-INSTRUMENT-GAUGE-CLUSTER-PANEL-/270771113808?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASunfire&hash=item3f0b374f50&vxp=mtr#ht_11 71wt_1272

How about you take 2 minutes and do a search before you start telling us how stupid we are? The cheapest ebay cluster for a 03+ is not $30, Rockauto charges $250 plus core. Not to mention resetting the odometer to the correct miles. Many of us don't have good junk yards to get cheap parts from.

I payed less than $20 for new stepper motors and had my dash apart fixed and back together in a few hours.

Neither of you guys brought ANY helpful information to this thread, but you still found time to ridicule those of us who did.

since the mileage is stored in the BCM on 2000+, there is no mileage reset to do...

Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:05 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
durandall05 wrote:

since the mileage is stored in the BCM on 2000+, there is no mileage reset to do...

I stand corrected.

I like helpful information

-I drive my car to work-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search