Installing Pioneer DEH-P7400HD head unit - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installing Pioneer DEH-P7400HD head unit
Friday, July 06, 2012 9:27 PM
Hey Guys,

This is my first post and first install so please mind some of my ignorance :S

I've bought the deck, bought the harness without chimes as I was not about to pay 100 more for stupid chimes, bought the dash kit, and of course the GM antenna adapter.

Now, I know how to take off the dash and all of that, i've also switched my 4X6 and 4X9 speakers in the car which was fairly straight forward. But, when i was buying the harness the guy at the audio shop stated that i need to run my own "accessory" wire?

I need to know if this is necessary beyond making the connections on the actual harness, secondly if I do have to run my accessory wire how and to what fuse? I'm driving a 2000 cavalier 4dr, any suggestions or information are appreciated, also not running an amp or woofers yet. Taking it one step at a time.

Thanks

Re: Installing Pioneer DEH-P7400HD head unit
Friday, July 06, 2012 10:54 PM
bradsk88 wrote:Get a fuse tap/"add a fuse"
run a wire down from the radio, under the carpet (or up in the dash, but zip everything up and make sure it doesn't interfere with the steering or anything).
Tap into the wiper fuse, solder the other end of that wire (up at the deck) into the ACC (red) wire.

DON'T CUT THE PLUGS OUT!!!

Go get a wiring harness. You want the newest style of GM plug.
The scosche one is called GM05.

Wire the rest of the deck to that, colour to colour.

I repeat

DON'T CUT THE PLUGS OUT!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 06, 2012 10:54 PM

Saturday, July 07, 2012 6:10 AM
Ok, couple of questions:

"Tap into the wiper fuse, solder the other end of that wire (up at the deck) into the ACC (red) wire."
On the harness that i have, all the wires including the "red" ignition wire couple with the wiring harness that came with the deck. Will that work? Or do I still have to run my own cable? And I was planning to use wire caps, is that ok?

"DON'T CUT THE PLUGS OUT!!!"
Which plugs? Is this the OEM harness? Because I bought the male end which I assume will just connect to the one in the car.

Also, if i'm just connecting the wiring colour to colour the wiring harness already has a cable for the ground that connects to the deck harness. Do I ignore this and just run my own ground?

Sorry about all of the questions, just really confused here :S
Saturday, July 07, 2012 12:47 PM
The problem with these cars is that they dont have the ignition wire in the factory harness, so the plug is in the wiring harness for it, but it isnt there. So you will need the add a circuit and to run the wire to the radio for switched/accessory power. And as for grounds, our cars are lacking there as well. The ground is there but its not the biggest wire is the issue, same with the battery wire. They could stand to be upgraded...

And for connecting the wires you can use terminal caps/butt connectors.. its not recommended... the best thing to do is solder them.. but thats up to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 07, 2012 12:50 PM
Sunday, July 08, 2012 3:54 PM
Quick Update,

So I installed the deck into the car, everything went through fine except when I wired the accessory wire into the wipers. I Basically connected my red accessory wire into the wipers on the steering column, i chose the yellow wire and and used a marrette and made sure all three wires are connected. Tested it with a multimeter and i was getting 12V just fine, however after driving around for a bit listening to the stereo I parked are removed the faceplate it was VERY warm??? Did i cut into the wrong wire?? Also smelled something like burning plastic....:S

Any Help would be great.

Thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search