JL 250/1 Amp cutting out - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
JL 250/1 Amp cutting out
Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:03 AM
My SW Amp has been cutting out lately, as in shutting off. Power light on amp goes out, i have verified i have power through the remote wire so no issue there. Also neither of the warning lights in the amp come on. Bass/vibrations seem to affect it. So maybe a loose wire in the amp? It sometimes goes all day, or up to a week or two with no issues then next thing ya know it wont work for a whole day or more. And its getting more frequent. Any ideas would be appreciated, its a great amp when its working so i wanna save it if possible.

Have a nice day.

Re: JL 250/1 Amp cutting out
Sunday, September 30, 2012 1:17 PM
Sounds like a loose connection to me. Check that everything us tight at the ground point, at the battery, and that there are no stray strands touching each other at the amp. Could be internal, but cover the basics first.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:46 PM
I have checked my connections, and tested continuity and voltage at the amp and power/ground points and i never lose power at the amp. Im kinda leaning towards the loose connection inside the amp itself, one main reason being that the power light goes out even when i know the amp is grounded and has power.

Have a nice day.
Monday, October 01, 2012 6:43 PM
Double check that your speaker wire going to the sub is cleanly connected and there are no shorts. No frayed wires touching each other.

Shorting the output of an amp will often cause the amp to turn off. And may even bypass the indicator LEDs.

Monday, October 01, 2012 7:38 PM
I will check that later, the wire is new and i know its not touching at the amp, it might be at the quick connectors or possibly in the box itself, the subs havent been removed since they were put in though so the condition of the wires inside is unknown as of now.

Have a nice day.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search