HELP install double din ok to remove bracket and bolt? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP install double din ok to remove bracket and bolt?
Wednesday, December 05, 2012 2:59 PM
Ok I am installing a double din Kenwood Excelon 9990HD and I am running in a space issue and Ive scoured the internet and here and found a little help (had to order a gm double din bracket for the unit) but now I need to make more room in the back of the cavity for wires and stuff I can't get it to seat all the way back. So here is my plan:

Here is the opening:

I want to remove some plastic, the screw, and trim the metal bracket in the back.

Here is my proposal:

Am I safe to do this? Will something be loose or not held on if I get rid of the bolt and trim the area? The whole stereo cavity can't be held on by this one bolt surely... Thanks in advance for answers and your guys time.

Re: HELP install double din ok to remove bracket and bolt?
Wednesday, December 05, 2012 3:42 PM
I forgot to add: This is a 4 door sedan 2001 Pontiac Sunfire.
Wednesday, December 05, 2012 3:51 PM
That's pretty much exactly what I did with mine. I just took out the bolt and used a dremel.

Friday, December 07, 2012 6:12 PM
Go ahead. Its just another point for the dash to attach. It doesnt even ground to the chassis.

When I put my stereos in I had to try stick my arm up through the back of the dash and try to feed the wires over top of that piece in the back. Most radios fit fine in the hole. Its just the wiring balling up.

Monday, December 10, 2012 6:20 AM
I cut about a 1/4 off the top of mine, and EVERY one of my buddies.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:51 PM
cut it!

Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:45 PM
To be fair, it is a structural piece. So your dash will have a bit more 'give' once you've taken it out. But nothing really noticable unless you drive over some CRAZY washboard roads.
Speaking from experience.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:32 PM
I cut it put with a dremmel but for the steel I had to use my die grinder it had a little more power. But had a hell of a vibration a few times from the tool "jumping" if you know what I mean. So after my stereo was all in ai noticed part of the dash light is out above the tach now.

Also my odometer is no longer illuminated I noticed that today. Stereo has been in for 3 days. Is it possible the vibration or anything to do with the install caused this?
Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:33 PM
I can faintly see the mileage with a bright flash light.
Friday, December 28, 2012 2:26 PM
smack ur dash. it's a common problem with the cav's

Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:20 PM
Excellent the smack of the dash restored the light behind the RPM gauge. Thanks. I am scared to smack it to get the odometer light to come on. I can live with checking it with a flashlight the RPM light was the one bothering me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search